Physical Therapy How to balance sexuality and DPT Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently in the process of applications and interviews to DPT Programs and have come to a dilemma. A lot of the PT Schools in California, where I reside, are private Christian schools. While I am Christian, I am also Gay. I have done soul searching and my faith and sexuality are in unison however I know not everyone feels the same way about LGBT+ people and Christianity. My question is whether I should be afraid to let staff in the admissions teams know that I am gay and if I should try to keep it to myself as much as possible (I.e. say I’m not in a relationship when I am). Is there a good possibility I could be treated unfairly if that information is found out? I don’t want special treatment for being LGBT, I just want a fair shot like everyone else. Thanks for your time and insight.

While you are in control of letting others know of your sexual identity/orientation, you are not obligated to if you don't trust the admissions recruiters or students. You can do your research whether the universities that host the DPT programs have offices for LGBTQ+ students, staff, and faculty and contact the university officers in charge about your concerns. Certainly if they don't have such offices or if they are really difficult to find or get information about how active they are in an environment and culture of inclusion and allyship, I'd skip that school. Of course, I would also widen my net where I would send applications.

Members don't see this ad.

At least for Pharmacy and Medicine, private Christian schools have been put in accreditation trouble for overtly discriminatory behavior on Title IX grounds. That said, do you really have to go to one of those schools as it is not necessarily against accreditation policy to remove students who do not fit the character of the university. I do not think it would be in your best interest to go to a school where unofficial retaliation for orientation is a concern.

There is one school in Southern CA that does take that consideration seriously enough that I would discourage you from applying there as many are aware of the culture at that school and the city that they are located in shares those values. Seven is not a lucky number in this case. The school is known to be hostile to that orientation historically but have overtly complied with Title IX provisions so far (but I cannot say about unofficial issues). If you cannot figure out which school it is from those hints, PM me, but the city hint should steer you in the right direction away from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.