Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a predental student reapplying for dental schools. I an a senior and will be graduating in a few weeks (spring 2019). I'm conflicted whether I should retake the DAT again. I have taken it twice, so this will be my third and last time to take it. My DAT scores are:

1st - AA 17, TS 17

2nd - AA 18, TS 19

My overall GPA is 3.5. I'm not sure what my sGPA, but i think it's around a 3.2. I have over 150 hours of shadowing with general dentists and around 40+ service hours (still doing both). I was also a science tutor for about 2 years during my undergrad. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on how I should improve my application and whether or not I should retake the DAT.
Hi! Personally, I would retake. Looks like the second time around, you improved your scores in the sciences, which is good! I think with the right study materials and methods, you should be able to hit a 20+. As it stands right now, your academic stats are not leaving you very competitive - a 3.5 oGPA is average, but the 3.2 sGPA may hurt you, and a 20.4AA was the average DAT score of applicants that matriculated into dental school a few years ago.

For tips on how to study for the DAT, you can look through this forum: DAT Discussions.

You can also see how other people studied and see if you can use any of their tips and advice. You can find that in this thread, which at the bottom might be most helpful for you! I listed people that retook their DATs and they talk about what they changed that allowed them to score so well on their latest attempt: Compilation - DAT Breakdown Collection! 2017-Present

I would continue shadowing and volunteering, to show consistency and commitment. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you should retake. Depending on which schools you are applying to, it is very common to see applications with DAT scores of 20 across the board. Combined with your low GPA, you are not giving many admissions committees much to be interested in proceeding with an interview unless you have clearly articulated extenuating circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.