I do not want to discuss my hobbies in my medical school application. Is this ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abualas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

To make a long story short, I really do not want to discuss my hobbies in my application. I'm a private person and like to keep things to myself. Of course, when it comes to things like volunteering or research, yes I'm going to discuss that. But my personal life to me is, well, personal. I'm not doing anything criminal or embarrasing, I literally just don't want to talk about it.

So, I want to know if it's OK if I simply do not include a hobbies or extracurricular section(s) in my application. I want to know if this could potentially hurt my application if I do not discuss these things.

If I were to discuss any hobbies, the only interesting things I could think of adding is like video production/editing, stock trader, maybe some religious stuff? Those are the only things I think are worth mentioning but it's not like I do them on a regular basis except for religious stuff.

I want your thoughts. How much value am I bringing to my app by including this? If my app didn't mention anything and I still had extra spaces left, would you as an ADCOM feel like something important is missing (similar to how someone might not include volunteering research shadowing etc.?)

Members don't see this ad.

IMO you don't have to list your hobbies if you don't want to. Often including such personal information allows others to connect with you based on shared interests, or it could help you stand out to someone who wants to know more about you. An essential aspect of having a hobby is the ability to keep your medical education in perspective, that you have an option to (temporarily) find a reprieve from the stresses that come from studying or practicing.

Reactions: 4 users
yes but be prepared to talk about them during interviews.

If you get asked what you do for fun, have a good answer

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

To make a long story short, I really do not want to discuss my hobbies in my application. I'm a private person and like to keep things to myself. Of course, when it comes to things like volunteering or research, yes I'm going to discuss that. But my personal life to me is, well, personal. I'm not doing anything criminal or embarrasing, I literally just don't want to talk about it.

So, I want to know if it's OK if I simply do not include a hobbies or extracurricular section(s) in my application. I want to know if this could potentially hurt my application if I do not discuss these things.

If I were to discuss any hobbies, the only interesting things I could think of adding is like video production/editing, stock trader, maybe some religious stuff? Those are the only things I think are worth mentioning but it's not like I do them on a regular basis except for religious stuff.

I want your thoughts. How much value am I bringing to my app by including this? If my app didn't mention anything and I still had extra spaces left, would you as an ADCOM feel like something important is missing (similar to how someone might not include volunteering research shadowing etc.?)
I believe that every application should have "Hobbies" as one of their 15 activities. This is your chance to showcase another aspect of your life outside of academics, work, research, volunteering, etc. Your hobbies do not need to be "interesting" or uncommon - things like baking, cooking, gardening, being a foodie, etc. are perfect conversation starters (and not too revealing). If you don't want to get too personal, listing video production/editing would be a good (and uncommon) topic as well. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 13 users
Hello everyone,

You’re fine to keep some things private. Some schools will ask a specific question in the secondary about what you do for fun- you have to say something there. The videos maybe?
I’ve never heard anyone call religion a hobby.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree that having something you do for fun either under the hobby category or listed under artistic endeavors, athletics, etc is important to show that you are not "all work and no play" and that you have some outlet beyond the grind of pre-med/world of work.

As mentioned, sometimes it is an opportunity for the interviewer to connect with you over a common interest. In other cases, it can be a reaction of "cool.... that's so different; I'd love to hear more about that hobby".

The video production might be the most fruitful. Stock trading can be off-putting and as mentioned, "religious stuff" is generally not considered "a hobby".

Listing your hobbies shows that you're a human being. A human being with interests. These are the types of things that make you interesting.

I will often ask interviewees questions based upon their Hobbies.

For you to leave this prompt blank would definitely raise an eyebrow

Reactions: 9 users
I'm a private person and like to keep things to myself.
The whole point of an interview is to share about yourself. Trying to be too private would be weird. You certainly don't have to share everything (how would anyone know what you left off, anyway?), but you need something to talk about.

• Love
I think you can still be a private person and discuss your hobbies in your application. It's not like the world is going to see it, just a few adcoms and interviewers.

If I could be honest for a second: I don't understand your mentality at all. You have to play the game to score. There are so many things that I don't want to do as an applicant, but you have to jump through the hoops to get accepted. This includes showing everyone that you like to do things outside of grades and your mcat. Idk man, good luck with whatever you choose to do

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
The more you conceal about yourself the less the admissions committee will feel like they know you. Sharing personal, intimate details makes someone feel like they know you more. It might seem intrusive, but admissions committees will feel more comfortable granting someone 'doctor-ship' if they feel they know who they are advocating for.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Absolutely agree with the learned posters above. I always used to ask the " Fun Fact" question. Something even your friends might not know. I told the sudent interviewed, " If you aren't fun, then you should look elsewhere.. Why do I ask this? It gives me a window to see the type of person you are so we can connect. It lowers the stress level of the student. It also shows me if the person has the ability to be introspective. I have had sky diving instructors, competitive Yo-Yo Champs, singers, ethnic dancers, clowns for kiddie parties, etc.. It was my favorite part of the interview.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Hello everyone,

You don’t have to include hobbies in your primary application; I didn’t but you could be asked about hobbies in a secondary or during an interview. I experienced both of these situations. So you need to be prepared to answer if you get the question on a secondary or during an interview.

Reactions: 6 users
I have appreciation for your privacy concerns - nobody would accuse me of being an "open book." That being said, it's in your best interest to identify areas of your personal life that you are comfortable sharing and discussing with adcoms and your future peers.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

The application is how admissions committee members "meet" you. If you're all work and no play, you could come of as a nerd or grind or unidimensional. In this highly competitive process they may find the another applicant more appealing because the other applicant simply seems more human, well-rounded, and more interesting.

There's no law saying you have to include hobbies and other interests, but omitting that information entirely could hurt you in the admissions process.

• Love
Thank you to everyone who shared their advice. I think I will go ahead and highlight some of my hobbies, maybe only the video production one.

I agree that having something you do for fun either under the hobby category or listed under artistic endeavors, athletics, etc is important to show that you are not "all work and no play" and that you have some outlet beyond the grind of pre-med/world of work.

As mentioned, sometimes it is an opportunity for the interviewer to connect with you over a common interest. In other cases, it can be a reaction of "cool.... that's so different; I'd love to hear more about that hobby".

The video production might be the most fruitful. Stock trading can be off-putting and as mentioned, "religious stuff" is generally not considered "a hobby".

Thank you for your insight! I have three follow up questions:

1) If I go ahead and include "video production," would it be a good idea to include some videos that I made over the years in my application (some if not all would be from high school though because that's when I made some of my best videos. They are all random and just sort of based on things that I am personally interested in. I would provide a delisted YouTube link) or I would just describe some of the videos I made

2) You said stock trading is off putting. Is this because it focuses on making money and may look like I'm going into medicine for money? I thought it might show that I am planning ahead or something of that sort.

3) As for the religious stuff, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I was a bit vague about the more specifics but I actually do find pleasure and relaxation the most when I am sort of getting spiritual, which is my primary way of coping with stress and relaxing. It might sound weird but I felt like it was my most genuine "hobby"

Besides those things, I can really only think of maybe things like biking or working out which I don't even do that frequently. And I also USED to build PCs but because it's been a couple of years since I last did that (in high school) IDK if I should include it. What are your thoughts?

I think you can still be a private person and discuss your hobbies in your application. It's not like the world is going to see it, just a few adcoms and interviewers.

If I could be honest for a second: I don't understand your mentality at all. You have to play the game to score. There are so many things that I don't want to do as an applicant, but you have to jump through the hoops to get accepted. This includes showing everyone that you like to do things outside of grades and your mcat. Idk man, good luck with whatever you choose to do

That's a good point. I suppose I'd like to jump through as few hoops as I possibly can. But this hoop really isn't that big and after reading all of your responses I think the risk vs reward of it all is there for me to just go ahead and discuss it. Thank you.

Another idea is to develop some new hobbies, if you don't already have them

Reactions: 1 users
Don't include links to videos.
Save spirituality for the coping essay that you'll find in some secondary applications.
Investing in the stock market does not show that you plan ahead.... if that were the case, you'd be sticking some money in a exchange-traded fund month after month with a dollar cost averaging strategy. I rather doubt that anyone would call that a hobby or that it describes what you are doing.

building computers was a hobby in HS that you don't engage in anymore? Leave it off.

Reactions: 4 users
1) If I go ahead and include "video production," would it be a good idea to include some videos that I made over the years in my application (some if not all would be from high school though because that's when I made some of my best videos.
Don't do this! Screeners feel compelled to review such links before recommending an application. It is so much easier to not recommend than to watch them. I have seen more than my fair share of drum solos, piano recitals and graduation speeches. Humor can also wear poorly between (several) generations.

• Love
Thank you for your insight! I have three follow up questions:

1) If I go ahead and include "video production," would it be a good idea to include some videos that I made over the years in my application (some if not all would be from high school though because that's when I made some of my best videos. They are all random and just sort of based on things that I am personally interested in. I would provide a delisted YouTube link) or I would just describe some of the videos I made

2) You said stock trading is off putting. Is this because it focuses on making money and may look like I'm going into medicine for money? I thought it might show that I am planning ahead or something of that sort.

3) As for the religious stuff, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I was a bit vague about the more specifics but I actually do find pleasure and relaxation the most when I am sort of getting spiritual, which is my primary way of coping with stress and relaxing. It might sound weird but I felt like it was my most genuine "hobby"

Besides those things, I can really only think of maybe things like biking or working out which I don't even do that frequently. And I also USED to build PCs but because it's been a couple of years since I last did that (in high school) IDK if I should include it. What are your thoughts?
I more or less agree with everyone else, and have a few specific points to add here.

First, I generally agree that it's worth spending a slot on your hobbies if you have one to spare as it introduces a personal aspect and makes you seem like a real person--it isn't "wrong" not to include them, but it may be a missed opportunity if you have some space to spare. That said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you should pour out your life story here either--you're still trying to be strategic in what you share, and are ideally trying to elicit the "shared experience" or "ooh that's cool" response. From this perspective, the video editing seems most promising (though I also would not include links).

There is nothing wrong with stock trading or being religious, but sharing that information is also definitely not going to help. Unless you linked your religion to your reasoning to going into medicine throughout your application including your personal statement (a risky move that I wouldn't recommend unless somehow your religion really is the singular driving force in your decision to enter medical school), then there is a zero percent chance that someone is going to ask you about a clearly off-limits topic like religion in an interview setting. Similarly, there just isn't anything to say about stock trading--you study the market and make educated guesses about which stocks are going to do well, there's not much to say about that and it's also not like they're going to ask you how much money you've made in the market. Sooo... I doubt you would be judged harshly for including anything about your religion or stock trading, but I just also don't see it as beneficial.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I brought this concern to an old mentor of mine 6 months before filling out my application, and he said this: " Do you want the job or not? If you do, then you put forward whatever foot helps you get it, within the confines of your morals, and damn your feelings." Now, he's a old-timer, so his approach is a little sharp for some, but that's why he's such a great resource from which to gain perspective.

Focusing on what we feel, and not what will make the best application, is inherently naïve.. especially when the context is kept in check. That context being a few dozen faculty, mostly ad-coms, knowing our hobbies..

Last edited:
  • Love
Just to add, hobbies are also an essential application component because the committee is not charged with figuring out whether or not to accept you. They are charged with building a class. That means they have to see how you fit into the grand structure of the class they're building and hobbies are a vital component to that. Frankly, I would be concerned about an applicant's mental health (hobbies are a necessity to stay human during medical education) and ability to connect with their peers if they had no hobbies to share.

I do not think there is a cut-and-dry answer. In this day and age, what if your hobby is perceived as “politically incorrect“? And in academia (read, “med school”) that bar is set pretty low.
I am an avid target shooter with many, many thousands of dollars worth of very high end firearms. Think $6000 for one pistol. Part of this is quite akin to collecting fine ( fill in the blank). I also hunt ( but none of the species that would lead to my crucifixion by those opposed to my avocation).
If I were applying to med school today, NO WAY would I mention any of this.
But it is interesting that it was NEVER a problem with any of my medical, admin and ancillary colleagues over years of practice. But, it would not surprise me at all if that excluded you in the minds of MANY interviewers/adcoms. I think it is a sad truth.
I’d like the honest opinions of the many excellent adcoms on here.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not think there is a cut-and-dry answer. In this day and age, what if your hobby is perceived as “politically incorrect“? And in academia (read, “med school”) that bar is set pretty low.
I am an avid target shooter with many, many thousands of dollars worth of very high end firearms. Think $6000 for one pistol. Part of this is quite akin to collecting fine ( fill in the blank). I also hunt ( but none of the species that would lead to my crucifixion by those opposed to my avocation).
If I were applying to med school today, NO WAY would I mention any of this.
But it is interesting that it was NEVER a problem with any of my medical, admin and ancillary colleagues over years of practice. But, it would not surprise me at all if that excluded you in the minds of MANY interviewers/adcoms. I think it is a sad truth.
I’d like the honest opinions of the many excellent adcoms on here.
I agree, without touching the political hot-button bait, this is a prime example of how you should not pour out your soul in a job application because at best it will not help you and may actively hurt you with a subset of reviewers. Keep your hobbies on an application relatively non-controversial, then when you're accepted you can find like-minded people who may appreciate your hobbies that are less "first conversation" worthy.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
This was not meant as ”hot button bait”. It is a realistic scenario that i am afraid prospective students would do well to avoid.

As others mentioned hobbies, athletics, etc. help paint a better picture of who you are. If you get an interview they’re not going to ask why you got a C in Organic 2 or why you didn’t retake the MCAT with a marginal score. 1/2 the interview is to make sure you’re a real person with goals, interests, etc. and not just a one dimensional study 24/7 box checker. This will be even more important for residency and attending jobs when people have to decide if you’re a person they want to spend years training or long term as a partner. The blackball is real.

• Love