Indiana Out of State waitlist

Avalanche1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an email with my number for the Indiana alternate list. Does anybody from past years know how fast this thing moves? Or has anybody heard about it recently? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey I just got an email today too with my number.. I was wondering the same thing. I emailed Dr. Kasberg today to find out..

I will be calling tomorrow to give up my spot. Hope this gets one of you in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys...let me know what you find out. I got an email and a number too...wish I were a little higher on the list..but hope some of us get in!

I called today and asked about how quick the list moves and she said it was all random..a couple years ago it moved quick..but other years it didn't budge at all. So =\ i guess it's pretty much unpredictable.

I will be calling tomorrow to give up my spot. Hope this gets one of you in!

Thank you! ;) And good luck at the school you pick!

Answering the OP's question, when I interviewed in Feb, Dr. Kasberg told me that last year they saw quite a lot of movement in the waitlist and took something around 20-30 people off of it, so it's not unreasonable to hope the same thing might happen this year!

I got the email yesterday of being informed that I'm waitlisted right around #50...doesn't make me too confident, but it's early so who knows...I was like # 220 back in January

So has anyone talked to Dr. Kasberg or somebody at the school to find out more info on how fast this alternate list might move?

Does anybody know how many people are on this waitlist? Or if there has been any movement already? My number is over 20 so there must be a substantial amount of people on the list..

Accepted today from off the alternate list! I've been holding my breath since last summer...I'm so happy! :D

Accepted today from off the alternate list! I've been holding my breath since last summer...I'm so happy! :D

Congrats!!!:highfive: Were you sent an email a couple weeks ago about the alternate list? What was your ranking? (If you don't mind sharing with those of us still waiting!)

Congrats!!!:highfive: Were you sent an email a couple weeks ago about the alternate list? What was your ranking? (If you don't mind sharing with those of us still waiting!)

Thanks a lot, oledds! :) Yeah, I interviewed post-Dec and I got an email with the alternate letter on March 1st. I was in the first 5 on the list, if that helps. As to how I was notified, there was no change on AADSAS nor did I get an email; I got a phonecall and was told I should expect a letter via snail mail.

Thanks a lot, oledds! :) Yeah, I interviewed post-Dec and I got an email with the alternate letter on March 1st. I was in the first 5 on the list, if that helps. As to how I was notified, there was no change on AADSAS nor did I get an email; I got a phonecall and was told I should expect a letter via snail mail.

Thanks a lot bloop, that helps! Congrats again:)

Members don't see this ad :)

When u say in first 5 does that mean #1 or #5??

So, here is the latest...
There are 60 people on this OOS waitlist and so far I have moved 7 positions in the last two weeks, so I think there is hope.

how much has the top ten moved?

Last edited:
So, here is the latest...
There are 60 people on this OOS waitlist and so far I have moved 7 positions in the last two weeks, so I think there is hope.

that's good news thanks do you happen to know when the next deposit is anita?

I think it's every 2 weeks from now until the beginning of classes. So Mar. 31 or about.

Basically when a candidate from the waitlist is given an offer, he/she has 2 weeks to put down a deposit or they loose the spot.

I was told that this week they are figuring out again what the waitlist looks lik, since not everyone responded that they were interested once given numbers. So at some point this week they will have a better idea of what number on the list everyone is. I was told last week that I moved up 7 spots since my initial number.

I was on the IU waiting list last year. I believe there was 40 people total and it moved about 24 spots. I started in the low 30's last year and came pretty close. the biggest jump in my slot came about a month before school was starting (8 spots), but with two weeks to go before classes it completely stopped. I was told last year that some years they go thru their entire waiting list and some years they dont use it at all. I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about it. i wanna get in so bad

I was on the IU waiting list last year. I believe there was 40 people total and it moved about 24 spots. I started in the low 30's last year and came pretty close. the biggest jump in my slot came about a month before school was starting (8 spots), but with two weeks to go before classes it completely stopped. I was told last year that some years they go thru their entire waiting list and some years they dont use it at all. I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about it. i wanna get in so bad

Hey Chad if you don't mind me asking..you were placed in the alternative list in the low 30's as of when? Because I interviewed for a waitlist position and received my rank as of March 1st. So I think it makes a big difference if you perhaps interviewed around December and was placed into the 30's as of January you know? Thanks again for the update. Greatly appreciated!

Im talking about last year's cycle, just to be clear. I interviewed in feb 2010. we were told there were like 10 positions open, and then they would fill the wait list. I got my waitlist number in march. and i just kept checking back for updates throughout the spring and summer. since i didnt get in. i reapplied this year, interviewed earlier in november. but still got my new waitlist number in march.

hey Bloop, how much do you think the top 10 has moved??

Hey Chad, hmm, I honestly don't know how much the waitlist has moved; I only know about my own status. But from looking at this thread and another one talking about the Indiana waitlist, I'm sure there has been some upward shifting as far as list positions go (esp. since March 16th).

I remember reading that one person went from spot 7 to spot 3, and that movement can obviously be from a combination of 1) people being accepted off the waitlist and 2) people being taken off the waitlist because they didn't want to be on it or didn't get their alternate position forms turned in on time. I'm sure things will keep moving (a little or a lot depending on what happens) especially as we move into April. I say this because 2 schools I interviewed at said they'd get back to me in April--so I'm guessing that some other schools will also give out some more decisions around then also, which equals more seat-shifting.

Another thing with April is that on April 5th, AADSAS will inform schools about people in their classes that are holding multiple deposits, and those people will have to pick where they want to go and give up their other seats. I think in previous years, AADSAS did this in May, but it's changed to April now, I guess. Lol, sorry for the long, blabbering post. :oops:

Thank you sooo much for the information. can you post the link to the other waitlist forum?

the top ten has moved 5 spots based on my new position

I think it was 9 spots. I called yesterday to ask and seems like 9 spots were moved.

im at #5 today. and like bloop said, hopefully there will be some more movement for all of us when aadsas and the dental schools tell the people with multiple acceptances to pick a school after april 5th or whenever.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any updates??? Congrats to the people that have gotten pulled off the waitlist.

Oledds, are you going to Iowa now?

Chad, I saw an old post that you said last year the list moved 8 spots in June and then stopped completely 2 weeks before class started. Do you think that 8 spots was after AADSAS told the dental schools who had multiple deposits? Do you think that already happened with this waitlist?

Does anybody have any updates??? Congrats to the people that have gotten pulled off the waitlist.

Oledds, are you going to Iowa now?

Chad, I saw an old post that you said last year the list moved 8 spots in June and then stopped completely 2 weeks before class started. Do you think that 8 spots was after AADSAS told the dental schools who had multiple deposits? Do you think that already happened with this waitlist?

Avalanche....yeah I am going to Iowa now. I will be contacting Indiana this week to take my name off of the list. I was #7. Dr. Kasberg told me last week that he was not sure how much more the list would move...so who knows???? I hope for the best for ya!