Interview advice/unexpected questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluffypillow

Reaction score
Very nervous for my first interview coming up! I’ve been practicing interview questions, but what are some hard or unexpected things you were asked during your interview

Members don't see this ad.

"would you do a PhD?"
I think they wanted to see if I was gonna step out of my comfort zone and say yes. I said no and was waitlisted (although I was accepted as soon as the initial commitment date passed so I was prob high on the waitlist).

"biggest decision in life, and do I regret it?"
Same school as above btw

"where would u go for vacation?" to my reply "I would not want to waste time going there"
I think they just wanted to see how I would react if someone disagrees with you

Other than that questions were pretty basic. why PT, why our school, time you showed leadership, teamwork etc.

Good luck!

Very nervous for my first interview coming up! I’ve been practicing interview questions, but what are some hard or unexpected things you were asked during your interview
Most of the programs I was interviewed by, asked why their school.

Also how you can manage your stress or same question with different wording.

If you have anything less than “C” in your transcripts, which is a key course, they may ask for circumstances.

Just be yourself, then you won’t be stressed and words will come to you.

I wish you a very easy n smooth interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
At one of my interviews the interviewer asked me to teach her something. I don't think this is super common, but a PT I shadowed told me it was a possibility so I was at least a little prepared for it. She was definitely more interested in how I taught/handled the situation rather than what I was teaching. I taught her about health insurance because it is something I know a lot about lol.

Other than that, I was asked the basic interview questions like why this school, why PT, how you handle stress, tell me about your PT/job experiences, etc.

Definitely know how to answer the basic questions about you, the school, and PT. Random questions I was asked included, "Tell me about a time when you were angry," and "What would you do if you were working with a patient who didn't speak English?" Remember there's usually no right answer -- they just want to know how you think.