Is it safe to disclose that you're part of the LGBTQ+ community?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brobamacare

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to U Wisconsin-Madison and the secondary asks: "Do you identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community?" Yes/No (it doesn't give like options to say what exactly you are)

I'm a bi girl who's actually never had a gf before, so I kinda feel like a fraud/asking for diversity points if I click Yes. Am I just overthinking this? Is it safe to click Yes or do you think there could be potentially biased people on the admissions committee who won't like that I'm LGBT? Sorry for the neuroticism lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to U Wisconsin-Madison and the secondary asks: "Do you identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community?" Yes/No (it doesn't give like options to say what exactly you are)

I'm a bi girl who's actually never had a gf before, so I kinda feel like a fraud/asking for diversity points if I click Yes. Am I just overthinking this? Is it safe to click Yes or do you think there could be potentially biased people on the admissions committee who won't like that I'm LGBT? Sorry for the neuroticism lol
There is always a chanc of bias in both directions, it’s a flaw inherent to asking about this kind of stuff. If you feel uncomfortable, you do not owe anyone that type of personal information

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I am a bi female too who hasn’t dated a girl. I checked yes for that box since sexuality =\= dating experience. I figured if the school rejects me solely for that I probably wouldn’t want to go there anyway.

Reactions: 8 users
I am a bi female too who hasn’t dated a girl. I checked yes for that box since sexuality =\= dating experience. I figured if the school rejects me solely for that I probably wouldn’t want to go there anyway.
+1

Mention it if YOU are comfortable discussing it. It wont hurt you IMO. Personally, someones sexuality is none of my business. I dont give or take away points in this regard. This is why i believe interviews in person are so valuable. Some of the things i look for are:

Do you project warmth?
Do you put others at ease?
Can you connect with others?
How do you reason?
How do you respond if I challenge your answer?
To name a few.
You are at the interview so your stats are good enough for admission. I want to get to know you.YMMV, but I believe the vast majority of interviewers feel this way. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'm just going to reiterate what @Flying Penguin stated. Who you have dated is not equal to your sexuality. You can know you're bisexual and have only dated the opposite gender. Just as you can know you're gay or a lesbian and have been single your entire life. I knew I was bi long before I ever got a girlfriend, but I knew that I owed nobody an explanation of my sexuality beyond stating what it was. Live YOUR truth OP, disclose if YOU want to.

Reactions: 5 users
Does U Wisconsin-Madison say what percentage of their matriculated students are LGBTQ? May be they are asking since that's one of their diversity categories and may be advantageous.

Reactions: 1 user
If you identify as a member of the LGBTQ community, then check it. Unless you talk about it elsewhere in your app, I would be surprised if it came up during an interview... but what do I know?

Regarding U Wisconsin in particular -- I would not be concerned particularly. Some folks there put out a textbook on better educating med students about LGBTQ health earlier this year:

That said, seems like most schools just want that question answered for research or marketing.

Reactions: 3 users

You are who you are and you should be comfortable in your own skin.

The only schools you should worry about bias are LUCOM and Loma Linda

Reactions: 4 users
When I interviewed at UW for residency, that had a bucket of pins for everyone’s personal pronouns and were very pro acceptance. I’d say be honest and don’t worry about it!

Reactions: 3 users
thank you for your response!

I'm just going to reiterate what @Flying Penguin stated. Who you have dated is not equal to your sexuality. You can know you're bisexual and have only dated the opposite gender. Just as you can know you're gay or a lesbian and have been single your entire life. I knew I was bi long before I ever got a girlfriend, but I knew that I owed nobody an explanation of my sexuality beyond stating what it was. Live YOUR truth OP, disclose if YOU want to.
Thank you for your advice and input! :D I ended up disclosing that I'm LGBT.

Reactions: 2 users
Mention it if YOU are comfortable discussing it. It wont hurt you IMO. Personally, someones sexuality is none of my business. I dont give or take away points in this regard. This is why i believe interviews in person are so valuable. Some of the things i look for are:

Do you project warmth?
Do you put others at ease?
Can you connect with others?
How do you reason?
How do you respond if I challenge your answer?
To name a few.
You are at the interview so your stats are good enough for admission. I want to get to know you.YMMV, but I believe the vast majority of interviewers feel this way. Good luck and best wishes!
Thank you so much for your guidance!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, brobamacare (nice name, haha). Can't offer any advice but I'm with you in solidarity.

Reactions: 1 user