Is it too late to start shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flame Heart

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm (sort of) new in that I've been here for some time, I lurk at times, but I haven't been very active.

I'm 23 years old, not sure if I'm non-traditional, but since I'm a year older than most incoming MS1 students, I figured this was the place to post this.

I did some brief shadowing of a pediatrician and his residents at OSU during my senior year of high school (2014-2015). I'm not sure how many hours I did, and I only have a rough idea of what the date was (It was in October, but I don't remember the specific date). I left and I'm afraid that he won't accept me back because I had a panic attack in the pod area, and it got so bad I had to go to his office. I still suffer from anxiety (and depression) issues, but they are getting better as I'm progressing in therapy. I don't want to sound like "woe is me," but I've experienced some trauma (some of it medical) where I was delayed in my education because of physical and mental health issues- the summer and fall following my freshman year was particularly a bad time for me.

This leads me to two questions: Is it too late to start another shadowing venture (considering that I have 3 semesters to go of undergrad), and if so, should I contact that specific physician to follow?

Thank you for your time. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I did shadowing at 29 so... no, it’s not too late.

Reactions: 1 users
As far as the other questions go, make sure your MH is in a good place before jumping in to shadowing again. As far as who to contact, I would work all of the connections you have: your doctors, parents doctors, family friends who are doctors etc. Once you’ve done that you can try cold calling. Covid will complicate things. Don’t be surprised if it takes weeks or months to get a response. Be persistent and polite. When you go, I recommend bringing donuts, bagels, coffee etc for the staff. If the staff likes you they’ll be more willing to have you shadow again and some schools require 50 hours. $20 on donuts is worth it. Sure, you can contact that same doctor but they may say no which leaves you in no worse of a position as you are now.

As a side note, average age for MS1 is 26. You’re still in the young side of things so don’t worry about that. I had friends in my postbac program who were mid 30s and shadowed alongside high school/college students. It’s not a big deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm (sort of) new in that I've been here for some time, I lurk at times, but I haven't been very active.

I'm 23 years old, not sure if I'm non-traditional, but since I'm a year older than most incoming MS1 students, I figured this was the place to post this.

I did some brief shadowing of a pediatrician and his residents at OSU during my senior year of high school (2014-2015). I'm not sure how many hours I did, and I only have a rough idea of what the date was (It was in October, but I don't remember the specific date). I left and I'm afraid that he won't accept me back because I had a panic attack in the pod area, and it got so bad I had to go to his office. I still suffer from anxiety (and depression) issues, but they are getting better as I'm progressing in therapy. I don't want to sound like "woe is me," but I've experienced some trauma (some of it medical) where I was delayed in my education because of physical and mental health issues- the summer and fall following my freshman year was particularly a bad time for me.

This leads me to two questions: Is it too late to start another shadowing venture (considering that I have 3 semesters to go of undergrad), and if so, should I contact that specific physician to follow?

Thank you for your time. :)
No, it's not too late. But I assume that you're NOT applying this year?

Also, make sure that you get your mental health issues under 100% control. Med school is a furnace.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as the other questions go, make sure your MH is in a good place before jumping in to shadowing again. As far as who to contact, I would work all of the connections you have: your doctors, parents doctors, family friends who are doctors etc. Once you’ve done that you can try cold calling. Covid will complicate things. Don’t be surprised if it takes weeks or months to get a response. Be persistent and polite. When you go, I recommend bringing donuts, bagels, coffee etc for the staff. If the staff likes you they’ll be more willing to have you shadow again and some schools require 50 hours. $20 on donuts is worth it. Sure, you can contact that same doctor but they may say no which leaves you in no worse of a position as you are now.

As a side note, average age for MS1 is 26. You’re still in the young side of things so don’t worry about that. I had friends in my postbac program who were mid 30s and shadowed alongside high school/college students. It’s not a big deal.
No, it's not too late. But I assume that you're NOT applying this year?

Also, make sure that you get your mental health issues under 100% control. Med school is a furnace.

I know. I'm getting better, but it's not where it needs to be. I plan on applying the nextra cycle or for sure, the one after that.