Is there some sort of diversity quota?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

souvlaki

Reaction score
Do med schools have a general quota for accepting URMs each cycle or are they genuinely interested in recruiting AAs? I ask because I get emails from many schools telling me I should apply and for many of these I'm not even within 10th percentile MCAT range or they happen to have heavy IS bias. It feels like either a secondary cash grab or them trying to fill in a box. I've heard of LCME warning schools about problems such as diversity so are these schools seriously trying to get in line with regulations?

Members don't see this ad.

Do med schools have a general quota for accepting URMs each cycle or are they genuinely interested in recruiting AAs? I ask because I get emails from many schools telling me I should apply and for many of these I'm not even within 10th percentile MCAT range or they happen to have heavy IS bias. It feels like either a secondary cash grab or them trying to fill in a box. I've heard of LCME warning schools about problems such as diversity so are these schools seriously trying to get in line with regulations?
No, there is no quota and yes, they are genuinely interested in increasing diversity. That said, don't take the emails to heart if you clearly don't fit a school's profile.

No, the emails are not a cash grab, but you are also not an auto-A just because you are AA. Use common sense, recognize that you will receive some extra consideration due to your URM status, and apply where you have interest and think you'd be a good fit. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Nope.

And so help me, if any of you make this a URM vs ORM flame war dumpster fire, I'll sic the mods on you to deliver bilateral orchiectomies! with rusty scalpels

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.