Loan Repayment Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted932896

I was just wondering if I graduated from a medical school in Pennsylvania if I could go to another state say like Oregon and use their repayment option or do I have to use the state's program that I graduated from? If I can use any other state, which states have the best loan repayment programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if I graduated from a medical school in Pennsylvania if I could go to another state say like Oregon and use their repayment option or do I have to use the state's program that I graduated from? If I can use any other state, which states have the best loan repayment programs?

Most loans (other than private) are federal and not institutional so the state is irrelevant. The only exception is Perkins which is not given for professional school. Even if you move states you continue to pay that original loan with the same servicer so it doesn't matter.

Most loans (other than private) are federal and not institutional so the state is irrelevant. The only exception is Perkins which is not given for professional school. Even if you move states you continue to pay that original loan with the same servicer so it doesn't matter.
Thanks for replying, but what I meant was each state has a loan repayment option and I will be attending medical school in Pennsylvania but I would like to use Oregon's repayment plan in return of 4 years of employment there but did not know if I can use another state's plan instead of Pennsylvania's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't aware states had specific repayment plans though some do for serving underserved communities. Here's one that's funded by Oregon state tax dollars. My recommendation is to contact them directly but the source of the loans are likely irrelevant as you still don't have state specific loans they are all federal. Most of the other employment opportunities are funded by federal grants. See this link. You'd have to work in an underserved area in primary care with the National Health Service Corps. Do you plan on going into primary care?

The repayment programs are tied to working a qualifying job in that state. Where you originally got the loans isn't a factor.