Michigan vs Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkey_d

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I wanted to ask for some advice.

Michigan is giving me 35k in scholarship aid and Stony brook will be charging me in-state tuition. I have an interest in orthopedics and I hope to someday end up in residency in NYC with family and friends being mostly here. Where do you guys think would be a better choice?

Michigan (35k in scholarship aid)

Pros
-- research opportunities are great
-- good match list
-- got a good student body vibe

Cons
-- farther from home, friends, SO
-- seems a bit cold

Stony Brook (In state tuition)

Pros
-- closer to home, support system
-- best research out of NY state schools

Cons
-- Heard the feeling there was that some students weren't always willing to help out
-- arguably a weaker match list?

I know the pros and cons list aren't as comprehensive but I'm open to hearing out more pros and cons

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply to either school, but from your pros it seems like Stony Brook is where you would be happiest. It would be tough to pass up the Michigan name, especially with your interest in ortho, but at the end of the day I think it's best to go where you will be happiest and have the most support. Especially since you want to match somewhere in NYC, going to school in New York would help tremendously. Congrats on the successful cycle and good luck with your journey!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Umich undergrad and cannot emphasize how much I love the school. Staying here for medical school and happy to answer any questions you have about Ann Arbor or community if it will help you narrow things down. Two things I might consider in my decision is this flex quizzing set up and the 1 year pre clinical that gives you a lot of flexibility in M3/M4 years (which might be great if you are interested in competitive specialties and need to do away rotations). Also, you will have no trouble matching ortho if thats where you want to go.

Not a New Yorker but moved to Michigan from Boston in freshman year and find Michigan a more bearable and temperate cold. There really isn't a huge weather different between New York and Ann Arbor.

Reactions: 1 user