Minnesota vs Illinois? (both OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walnutboi

UMN CVM c/o 2027
Reaction score
Hey all!
I’ve recently been accepted to Minnesota and still waiting on Illinois. Just wanted to know what y’all think of each schools? I am an alumni from Illinois but also wanted to explore what Minnesota’s got to offer. I’m interested in small animal surgery/emergency, and would love to experience and learn about different things (like exotics/zoo animals etc).
Any input is appreciated!! ☺️

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 2021 graduate from Illinois (OOS from Colorado). I was pretty involved in quite a few things and can give you my perception of you have specific questions

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a 2021 graduate from Illinois (OOS from Colorado). I was pretty involved in quite a few things and can give you my perception of you have specific questions
Same except Minnesota and not graduated even though I started vet school before battie did :rofl:

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I repeated first year, so maybe?
... yes, then we did.

anyway.

@walnutboi both of us can give you the old fart perspective on each program if you have specific questions, though I'll add a caveat that the curriculum at UMN has changed since I went through the majority of it, so I'll rope in some of the current 1st/2nd? years who post on here occasionally if you have questions about courses during those years.

I'm a first year at UMN and can answer questions if you'd like! I know our teaching hospital has a heavy case load, and being in the Twin Cities there are a handful of other specialty hospitals and ERs that you can work or shadow at. Our teaching hospital does NOT see exotics though. We have an exotics club and we have a Raptor Center on campus as well as a Wildlife Rehab Center close by that you can get involved in as a student. Couple of zoos nearby too :) So, there are definitely opportunities for what you are interested in.

I checked my spreadsheet when I applied and I believe Illinois is $20k cheaper overall OOS vs UMN and the COL is probably lower in Illinois as well. So while UMN could be a great fit for you I'm not sure there's a huge reason to pick it over Illinois!

Happy to answer other questions on here or via direct message. Congrats on your acceptances!!

Current UMN second year! Feel free to ask me any questions you have. I absolutely love the school and am so grateful to be here; I honestly can’t imagine doing vet school anywhere else. I am OOS, but maybe not the best person to ask about finance stuff because I do have veterans benefits that offset a lot of the (high) cost.

Also, supposedly, the whole first year curriculum is going to become P/F starting with the class of 2027. The goal is to eventually switch the entire program to P/F.

Thanks all! I know this is a super super late reply, but I ended up choosing UMN! Excited to be seeing and meeting you guys at the VMC even though I don't know your names and faces!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all! I know this is a super super late reply, but I ended up choosing UMN! Excited to be seeing and meeting you guys at the VMC even though I don't know your names and faces!
I doxx myself with some regularity so I’m sure you’ll be able to figure out who I am 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users