Neurology residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dra. Cula

Cornell Vet school C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!! I will be applying for neurology residencies during this match cycle. I am looking into the different programs, more specifically (UF, NCSU, Missouri, OSU, Colorado, Tennessee, Georgia, UC Davis, Wisconsin, Texas A&M and Cornell). Does someone have experience in these programs and would be able to share their thoughts on pay/cost of living, quality of life, program and location? Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt and it's been like 2 years, buttttttt I used to work at NCSU as a technician and LOVEDDD the Neurology department there. Their neurology department was actually the reason I am now inspired to hopefully go into neurology if I get acceptance to vet school.

Cost of living in Raleigh is not like the best in terms of other cities I have lived in, but definitely cheaper than a lot of other bigger cities, etc. Quality of life for me was awesome, raleigh has a lot of a greenways, trails, breweries, restaurants, etc. I loved living there! Also because of the setup I felt like it was easy to get any where in under 30 min. (Coming from having experienced Atlanta traffic, Raleigh traffic was easy peasy). So many housing options around the vet school where you can get there super quick. In all the years I lived there and worked at NCSU I was always within like 10 minute drive (which was amazing when i had on call shifts).

I will say I still am friends with a lot of technicians there and NCSU and the workers currently have a lot of bad blood because of how they are treating staff. The clinicians and technicians get along fine, but the higher ups are making decisions that are not making the any friends amongst their support staff. (This was still true when I used to work there, but I just saw that they denied celebrating vet tech week so a lot of people are upset right now). Otherwise, the people I learned from in the neurology department were amazing, incredibly brilliant and so nice and patient. I loved working with them and learned so much during my time there. Same with the technicians that work in that department, they loved their residents and students and were always so nice and positive and it seemed like a great atmosphere! Miss the neurology crew :)

Sorry I don't have more information but just wanted to give my 2 cents that I would go back for a residency in neurology at NCSU in a HEARTBEAT if possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!! I will be applying for neurology residencies during this match cycle. I am looking into the different programs, more specifically (UF, NCSU, Missouri, OSU, Colorado, Tennessee, Georgia, UC Davis, Wisconsin, Texas A&M and Cornell). Does someone have experience in these programs and would be able to share their thoughts on pay/cost of living, quality of life, program and location? Thank you in advance :)
Our pool of doctors that stay on SDN following getting into school (let alone graduating) is rather small. Your best bet is to contact the programs for current and past residents. Even from the networking perspective, you're likely to get contact info faster by emailing the programs directly than for someone like me to get it through the grapevine (I have a friend doing a path residency at Georgia, two friends doing an anesthesia and onco residencies at Wisconsin, and another doing ophtho at Mizzou; but who knows how well they know the neuro residents).

Reactions: 1 user