New forms of "professional autonomy": Do doctors dislike having to answer to a boss?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoseyWales28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Joe. I am a PhD student in the Department of Sociology at Louisiana State University, and I am conducting research for my doctoral dissertation.

My research examines the relationship between fear of one’s boss and the quality of one’s social interactions inside and outside of the workplace. I argue that the more fear and anxiety a person feels toward his or her boss, the less control they have over their attention during social interactions (i.e. the less capable one is at “being present” and “in the moment” - what some researchers call “performance deficits”). This loss of command over one’s attention leads to fewer positive social interactions, and more and more conversations that one walks away from regretting their “performance”.

Unfortunately for me, I have an informant who has repeatedly told me that such a phenomenon is not true for doctors. Doctors, he says, do not have “bosses” in the traditional sense. Instead of experiencing fear and anxiety over a boss, doctors are frustrated by an impersonal/abstract “system” of red tape that includes government actors and private insurers who get in the way of doctors. My informant is a doctor of about 40 years (he is also my dad). Notwithstanding his assertions that doctors don't generally experience anxiety related to their bosses, I am aware that times are changing for the medical profession. I know, for example, that many doctors are leaving private practice for hospital employment (they are sacrificing professional autonomy for economic security). I am wondering if this shift will result in doctors being treated more like traditional employees who must answer to a potentially overbearing boss.

In order to begin to investigate these questions, I have conducted a brief survey – it lasts about 5 minutes – for doctors of all specialties. I would greatly appreciate if you can complete it. This survey has been reviewed and endorsed by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at Louisiana State University (IRB# E9249), and it is valid until March 2018. I have attached a copy of the document with the I.R.B.’s endorsement of this survey. The survey can be completed at the following web address:

https://thedoctorsurvey.typeform.com/to/lIZcQw

Thank you for your time. Take care.

-Joe

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IRB endorsement.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 64