Non-Trad MD/PhD off to a rocky start

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An entering MD/PhD student asks:

I am a non-trad Md/PhD, so far I'm in my third block of my first year of medical school. I started off ok, then my grades fell pretty bad (went from an 80 on my first test to a 61 on my second test). I still managed to pass my first block. In my second block I started with a 58, that really shook me up, then I got a 90 and a 72; I passed that block too. Now I'm in my third block, and had a biostatistics exam (not related to the third block in any way, just thrown in to the third block randomly); this I totally failed. I am worried because I am an MD/PhD student, and I'm scared that I'm going to be held to a different standard than the other medical students. I haven't gotten any e-mails about meeting with academic advisement yet, but I plan on doing so.

I guess my question is this, can an MD/PhD student that doesn't have stellar grades be kicked out of the program because of that?

**What's worrying me more is that some unprofessional people at my school told me that there were a couple of people that didn't want me in the program, and I'm scared that now that I actually have an official failing grade, that they'll have ammunition to get me out (can they do that?).:scared:

I think this type of thing is program-dependent. What is most important though is that you focus on getting academic advising and counseling to improve your grades. Also, I would stay away from "unprofessional people" gossiping about your admission. You are there and now your task is to do well and prove any nay-sayers wrong. Your slow start isn't the determinant of your future as an academic research/physician!

Members don't see this ad.

Tildy is right in that different programs have different standards for MD/PhD students. You should talk to the director of your program or go looking through your program's manual/guide if it exists and find out what the official policy is.

I'm in the research phase now, but I also had trouble in med school and I am also a non-trad MD/PhD (if that means you're old like me!). Frankly, I don't think it will hurt me that much, if at all. If you want to be a researcher as opposed to a clinician then the med schol grades aren't too big of a deal. Just bust your butt in the lab!

-X

An entering MD/PhD student asks:

I think this type of thing is program-dependent. What is most important though is that you focus on getting academic advising and counseling to improve your grades. Also, I would stay away from "unprofessional people" gossiping about your admission. You are there and now your task is to do well and prove any nay-sayers wrong. Your slow start isn't the determinant of your future as an academic research/physician!
I think this is good advice.

I went through this myself, having had a PhD prior to med school. The nature of the learning and expectations for the exams, at least at my school, is different. As an academic, you are rewarded for more analytic thinking and being able to come to reasonable conclusions and validate them based on sparse data and an understanding of how the processes work.

Medical school expects you to be able to commit to memory complex data which is a different process altogether, I think. For me at least, analytic reasoning and an understanding of why things are structured/behave the way they do ultimately leads to a better grasp of things and better long term recall, but it takes a lot more effort and work to get to that point. Rote memorization and regurgitation is quicker, to me at least, less rewarding, but it helps pass the tests.

Can they get you out? Yup. They can. And they don't necessarily need an excuse, although that makes it easier. Most schools, however, have a lot of integrity in this regard. Academic counselling/advising will help demonstrate that you are aware, concerned and willing to do something about it. Hang in there, you'll succeed.

As for the "unprofessionals" this is rampant in medicine. It exists at all levels of medical education. Tildy is correct. Ignore these folks. But be aware that they exist, they can cause harm, and if they are in a position of power, there is little you can do about it except to keep the faith, keep your wits about you and keep your head down. See pandabear's blog for a running chronicle.

Another nontrad PhD-to-MD here. I just wanted to lend my support, and also say that you could try looking at this situation another way: the majority of the people in your program obviously did want you there or you wouldn't have been admitted; and you passed two blocks already, so you are obviously capable of doing the work. If you need academic help, and it sounds like maybe you do for at least this block, don't be proud; get whatever help you need to make it through your classes with passing grades, and keep moving forward. :luck: to you. :)