Non-Traditional PGY2 specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
There are a lot of popular PGY2 specialties such as Critical Care, Oncology, Infectious Disease, etc. that I'm sure are very competitive but what experiences or insight does anyone have for some of the less popular specialties such as Medication-Use Safety, Neurology, Nutrition Support, among others.

I was looking at the Phase 2 PGY2 programs and realized a lot of popular sites (UC Davis, Dana Farber, UMASS, University of Kentucky, NIH) with unfilled positions in some of these specialties, do people just not apply to them?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of popular PGY2 specialties such as Critical Care, Oncology, Infectious Disease, etc. that I'm sure are very competitive but what experiences or insight does anyone have for some of the less popular specialties such as Medication-Use Safety, Neurology, Nutrition Support, among others.

I was looking at the Phase 2 PGY2 programs and realized a lot of popular sites (UC Davis, Dana Farber, UMASS, University of Kentucky, NIH) with unfilled positions in some of these specialties, do people just not apply to them?

All I can say with just briefly reading those locations -- HIGHLY competitive.