NYCOM vs RowanSOM vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XxiycmanxX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school would you pick and why ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

RowanSOM hands down. Much more resources than the other two and if you are a NJ resident then the tuition would be so cheap.

Reactions: 1 users
RowanSOM. great support system, also you have options to do combined programs with PhD, MPH, MBA, JD and etc. stated above, cheap for IS. Also has hospital right next door. great connection.

... Bias tho as I am RowanSOM student... lul

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
RowanSOM hands down. Much more resources than the other two and if you are a NJ resident then the tuition would be so cheap.
What resources specifically does rowan have that PCOM does not ?

If you're an NJ resident Rowan 100%

If you're OOS then Rowan 99%

What resources specifically does rowan have that PCOM does not ?

Don't get me wrong PCOM is a very strong school but what makes Rowan really stand out to me:

1) University affiliation which helps with having a decent basic science faculty.
2) Strong research (multiple R01s just within the medical school and many more with the main university). PCOM has research funding but again, it's not comparable to a full university with state funding.
3) strong clinical rotations with departments in many many specialties (PCOM has this as well so not that big of a deal).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't get me wrong PCOM is a very strong school but what makes Rowan really stand out to me:

1) University affiliation which helps with having a decent basic science faculty.
2) Strong research (multiple R01s just within the medical school and many more with the main university). PCOM has research funding but again, it's not comparable to a full university with state funding.
3) strong clinical rotations with departments in many many specialties (PCOM has this as well so not that big of a deal).

Thank you !

They're all fine. I'd go to the cheapest.

Another thing to consider, NYIT has mandatory lecture (whether students actually go is another discussion), but it's still "mandatory" per se. That's a HUGE HUGE negative for me. Rowan has no mandatory lecture and they're recorded.

Not sure what PCOM is like.

RowanSOM and it's not even close.

State school resources.
Their own teaching hospital ON CAMPUS.
In house residencies in competitive specialties.
Legitimate research and funding.
Established school with huge alumni network.
Partnerships will all 3 of the other NJ state medical schools.
Optional lecture attendance.
In-state Tuition matched by very few other DO schools.
An excellent reputation in NJ and the surrounding areas.
Excellent advising and student support

Rowan makes a lot of other DO schools look bad. PCOM is a great DO school but it just can't compete with Rowan.

Members don't see this ad :)
RowanSOM and it's not even close.

State school resources.
Their own teaching hospital ON CAMPUS.
In house residencies in competitive specialties.
Legitimate research and funding.
Established school with huge alumni network.
Partnerships will all 3 of the other NJ state medical schools.
Optional lecture attendance.
In-state Tuition matched by very few other DO schools.
An excellent reputation in NJ and the surrounding areas.
Excellent advising and student support

Rowan makes a lot of other DO schools look bad. PCOM is a great DO school but it just can't compete with Rowan.
Also isn't PCOM crazy expensive and the class size ridiculous? We only have 186 this year and that's only because they increased the number of PBL peeps from 8 to 32.

Also isn't PCOM crazy expensive and the class size ridiculous? We only have 186 this year and that's only because they increased the number of PBL peeps from 8 to 32.

Compared to other private DO schools, it's not particularly expensive. $50k a year for total COA is not particularly high, unfortunately.

Compared to other private DO schools, it's not particularly expensive. $50k a year for total COA is not particularly high, unfortunately.
Tuition is 48k. Fees + health insurance will put you somewhat over 50k. Estimated living expenses on top of that from the school website~ 21k. The sum of that is your COA

Last edited:
The three schools I'm waiting for to show me some love...

I'd choose NYITCOM or PCOM in a heartbeat!

RowanSOM --- It's a public school. Public DO schools > Private DO schools (except for WVSOM)

Why so ? Just want to get as much information as I can

I could be slightly bias with my choices here because I prefer schools in or near urban areas, NYC and Philly. I believe this fosters greater opportunities for inter-institution research and clinical opportunities. NYITCOM also allows me to be closer to my friends and family, and PCOM is the third oldest DO school, which for me means more established and experienced. Aside from a school's curriculum, I think choosing a school depends on what you prioritize more and where you think you'll be happy. I have friends at all three schools, and they love them. So whichever school you decide to choose, I'm sure all are fascinating programs.

I could be slightly bias with my choices here because I prefer schools in or near urban areas, NYC and Philly. I believe this fosters greater opportunities for inter-institution research and clinical opportunities. NYITCOM also allows me to be closer to my friends and family, and PCOM is the third oldest DO school, which for me means more established and experienced. Aside from a school's curriculum, I think choosing a school depends on what you prioritize more and where you think you'll be happy. I have friends at all three schools, and they love them. So whichever school you decide to choose, I'm sure all are fascinating programs.

Except Rowan is closer to Philly than NYIT is to NYC, lol.

Last edited:
It's kind of a moot point when you're studying all the time. I've only been into philly once or twice since we started.

It's more of a personal preference. I have to be near a major urban city when I'm in school as a way of de-stressing.

Going to throw another vote for Rowan. I'm originally from South Jersey. The area is awesome. But I've worked with med students and residents from Rowan, and they have all been awesome. The surgical faculty was also mostly great (obviously this is probably different since I worked there 12 years ago).

This might be biased because I was accepted to Rowan, but I was extremely impressed with the school. The teaching hospital was really nice.