*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I have a question about how I should enter in orchestra. I took orchestra for three semesters for course credit and it appears on my transcript. I continued playing in the orchestra but did not receive credit for one additional semester. I did not receive course credit for this semester because at my undergraduate college, you are only allowed to take 5 classes and during that semester I was doing so already without orchestra.

I currently only have the hours and date range of when I was doing orchestra extracurricularly in my W/A section. Does setting it up like this make sense or should I add the whole date range and hours from when I was part of the orchestra for both course credit and extracurricularly and add into the experience description an explanation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have a question about how I should enter in orchestra. I took orchestra for three semesters for course credit and it appears on my transcript. I continued playing in the orchestra but did not receive credit for one additional semester. I did not receive course credit for this semester because at my undergraduate college, you are only allowed to take 5 classes and during that semester I was doing so already without orchestra.

I currently only have the hours and date range of when I was doing orchestra extracurricularly in my W/A section. Does setting it up like this make sense or should I add the whole date range and hours from when I was part of the orchestra for both course credit and extracurricularly and add into the experience description an explanation?
Didn’t you get involved in music before you took the Orchestra class?

I suggest you list this under an Artistic Endeavors tag and include dates from the onset of your lessons. You might use the Repeated fx for the years before college and then the college years. Make a good faith estimate of hours for each, including classes, practice, and performances.

Be sure to mention in your narrative that you continued playing in orchestra beyond credit-related involvement.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm combining several volunteer involvements into one activity b/c I have no space. Is this okay, considering I can only put down one person for the contact info and that person can only attest to about 70% of those hours?
I have moved your question to the main AMCAS Work and Activities thread

Members don't see this ad :)
How should I include a distinction in responsibilities for an experience on amcas? If I went from a full time employee to part-time how can I make this clear on amcas? Do I separate the hours? I don't really want to waste valuable space explaining this in my description section. Should I just split up the hours? Is this even something I need to worry about?
Please keep questions for the Work and Activities section to this thread.

I have moved it and Catalystik's response here.

Hi guys! I am very strapped for space in my w/a. What are your thoughts on combining the publications and posters & presentations sections? Otherwise, I just simply don't have enough space!