Ohio Licensure application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderingStudent

c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a fourth year veterinary student graduating in a few weeks. I have a job in Ohio and thus would like to apply for my Ohio veterinary license. I’m confused regarding the Ohio licensure application as someone who has not yet officially graduated. The application requires that I indicate I have already graduated and that I took the NAVLE through Ohio (when I initially applied for the NAVLE it was through a different state but am sending my score to Ohio now. The verbiage on the application is “I attest that I took the NAVLE through Ohio.”). I am unable to submit the application without saying yes to both of these statements.

Am I able to apply for my OH license before I graduate? Can I attest that I took the NAVLE through Ohio? Thank you for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t done an Ohio license but I can confirm that the state I did get licensed in required you to be officially graduated. Because of my internship start date I pretty much had to apply the moment after graduation when I had my diploma in hand so it would get approved by my start date. (Aka the Monday after Friday afternoon graduation.)

I’d recommend you call or email the Ohio board office to see what they say about the NAVLE through Ohio question. If you’ve sent them your scores through ICVA I bet it’s fine but best to get the info directly from them. Most boards are fairly helpful when you have questions. Though do remember this is their busiest time of year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a fourth year veterinary student graduating in a few weeks. I have a job in Ohio and thus would like to apply for my Ohio veterinary license. I’m confused regarding the Ohio licensure application as someone who has not yet officially graduated. The application requires that I indicate I have already graduated and that I took the NAVLE through Ohio (when I initially applied for the NAVLE it was through a different state but am sending my score to Ohio now. The verbiage on the application is “I attest that I took the NAVLE through Ohio.”). I am unable to submit the application without saying yes to both of these statements.

Am I able to apply for my OH license before I graduate? Can I attest that I took the NAVLE through Ohio? Thank you for any insight!
The verbiage I'm seeing is "I attest I will have the AAVSB forward an official copy of my NAVLE test scores to the Ohio Board." So I'm not sure what you did to get something different?

Ohio does allow you to apply before graduation, you just have to send transcripts within 6 weeks of graduating I think.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to have graduated prior to applying for a license in any state as far as I’m aware.
No, I have my OH license already and I graduate next week.

@WonderingStudent I sent my application with my transcripts and a Dean’s letter of good standing attesting that I would graduate on time, with the plan being that I’d send a copy of my diploma when I have it. I sent my NAVLE scores through AASVB, as genny said. Idk what you did to get that verbiage bc I didn’t when I was applying.

Their turnaround time is quite good, I got notified that my license was issued about 4 weeks after I applied.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users