Ohio State vs. Midwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

divergent14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I would just love to hear some input on Ohio State vs. Midwestern's program.
I'm a CA resident, so AZ is closer to home for me but OSU is about 100k cheaper. I know at Midwestern you get a lot of exposure to the basics (blood draws and handling) during your first year and a lot of students end up getting spay/neuter exposure very early on. I love the area and climate at AZ much more than tOSU.
But with that being said, Ohio is significantly cheaper. I know they're the #4 school overall but I don't know very much about how things are from a student view. Can anyone give me some insight on that, or some overall advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current Midwestern 4th year happy to answer any specific questions you may have!
For whatever it's worth... I always advocate for the cheaper program, even if it's not Midwestern. The debt load you come out with is real (taking out full loans I'll be at least $400k from vet school alone).

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current Midwestern 4th year happy to answer any specific questions you may have!
For whatever it's worth... I always advocate for the cheaper program, even if it's not Midwestern. The debt load you come out with is real (taking out full loans I'll be at least $400k from vet school alone).
I only have to worry about my tuition. My parents are taking care of the rest…I calculated about $280k for Midwestern?

I only have to worry about my tuition. My parents are taking care of the rest…I calculated about $280k for Midwestern?

I honestly don't know what tuition alone is.. I know that it goes up around 6% every year. Even if it's just tuition you're taking out loans for, I still say to pick the cheaper school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OSU is about 100k cheaper.
I agree with Frosty Sparrow to go with the cheaper school. That 100k will also have compounding interest over the course or your time in school from 5-7% interest.
I know they're the #4 school overall
Rankings don't matter. They aren't based on student outcomes or anything like that.
I know at Midwestern you get a lot of exposure to the basics (blood draws and handling) during your first year and a lot of students end up getting spay/neuter exposure very early on.
As a student who also went to a school with early hands on experience, I don't think it really matters now that I'm in practice if the hands on stuff is inconsistent. The schools where the hands on/clinical aspects are consistently present or over a long term period (such as the schools with 2 straight years of clinics), then it actually matters.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Frosty! What if Midwestern is the only school you get into? Would you recommend going or reapplying the next cycle?
As of now, it's been my only acceptance. I've had other interviews and am waiting to hear back still from 3 schools. I love the area, my sister lives right by the school and it's significantly cheaper to live in her area of AZ than where I currently live. I love everything I've heard about Midwestern, the only thing that stops me from being ecstatic about Midwestern is the cost