Oklahoma State Vs. Purdue veterinary school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vet2022-20224

OkState c/o 2023
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have been accepted to OkState OOS (from Texas) and I am on the waitlist for Purdue. I was fully intending to submit my acceptance this week, but a newly accepted student from Purdue said I had a good chance of being called off of it despite it being unranked. So if they call, I would like to be prepared. What are the pros and cons of each or what school would you pick and why? I will visit Okstate soon too, to gage the 'atmosphere'. My main interest is in research (genetic engineering, animal models) and so I’m not sure if to have or not have the tracking option affects me much (okstate doesn’t have option to).

Right now these are my pros for OkState
1. Closer to home, can drive vs fly
2. warmer weather compared to Purdue
3. Cost of living is cheaper than where I am from (~10% less according to nerd wallet.com) but with Purdue too

Cons for OkState:
1. More expensive, factored in moving and flight expenses and I would still owe $20,000 + accrued interest (according to tuition, I didn't factor in books and supplies)
2. Lots of tornados ( I live near mountains so this sounds scary!:wideyed:)
3. More burglaries than Purdue (I was broken into twice in college station and want to avoid that)
4. Less hospitals so possibly less prospects for my SO who is a X-ray tech

Any help would be appreciated ! Thank you:D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That’s a what if, but if you do get pulled which ever is cheaper no matter what. Now that I’ve stated that caveat, I’ve enjoyed my time at OkState. I’ve dabbled in most of the veterinary career options here, and done it on the cheap. Very inexpensive to live here as I have a 2 bed 1 bath house with big fenced backyard for the animals for $700 rent. I’ve enjoyed all the faculty and clinicians and done my part to help all my classmates and students in general.

Research is easy enough to participate in and you can get paid over summer just like any school to do research and present at the nih/merial conference at the end.

If your SO wants to delve into vet med side, we are looking for a radiology tech too!!! Lol

Reactions: 1 user
So it’s worth to move far away for $20,000? I agree. That’s about a year of paying back right?

I’m really excited about OKstate and this helps more. We will be looking for a house for rent like that too as we have many pets. Around where do you recommend we find something like what you have ? I will be visiting in the March dates they offered.

Awesome ! It would be amazing if he could work in the vet field, he even got excited as I mentioned it. What would be the qualifications, would you know?

Thank you so much for your answer!