Peds residency feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just finished my D1 year and entering D2. D1 was not what I expected at all and I’m starting out rather low. I calculated and it looks like by the end of d2 I could reach a 3.3-3.5. That’s if I am able to get a 3.8-4.0 the next two semesters. In the meantime, should I still try to be active in other clubs? I want too but I really need to pull my gpa up and I thought about possibly joining clubs my d3 year when I can determine where I stand. any suggestions for other ways to amp up my chances? I even thought about doing an externship this summer at my peds department but I thought of this summer as being a time for me to re-wire and figure out what I can do better. A lot of my issues this year was balancing work and my anxiety. But any suggestions to improve my chances are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t sweat yet. GPA is important but other aspects of application is just as important. Try to keep it up and still be involved in peds activities. Program directors like peds work experience too. In my experience, perfect candidate on the paper doesn’t translate into being a successful pediatric dentist. It’s the passion and personality over stats. So if it doesn’t work out right out of ds, work for a year and apply again. Your chances will be lot higher.

I wouldn’t sweat yet. GPA is important but other aspects of application is just as important. Try to keep it up and still be involved in peds activities. Program directors like peds work experience too. In my experience, perfect candidate on the paper doesn’t translate into being a successful pediatric dentist. It’s the passion and personality over stats. So if it doesn’t work out right out of ds, work for a year and apply again. Your chances will be lot higher.
Is GPA more important than class rank for pediatrics?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, a low GPA/class rank is very likely to get you screened out at the better programs.

Big HIs there any chance to get in pediatric residency (with stipend )

OP, a low GPA/class rank is very likely to get you screened out at the better programs.

Big Hoss
Is 3.6-3.7 GPA low to get into pediatric residency (with stipend)?

Is 3.6-3.7 GPA low to get into pediatric residency (with stipend)?
What class rank does that correspond to? I’d imagine you would have a good chance, apart from the most competitive programs. Also, nearly all programs pay a stipend. That may range, however, from $20,000 to $60,000 per year.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user