Pharmacy student orgs vs. research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyanisland

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently a P3 in the midwest, and I've always wondered how important pharmacy student organizations are ACTUALLY?
The reason I ask is, because my experiences in those groups (APhA, SNPHA, etc...) was really lame and boring. I just did not learn much from the occasion meetings. There was a lot of hype about joining the org and learning a lot, gaining lots of experience, etc etc. I think it just did not deliver.

I ended up doing research in a medicinal chemistry lab and getting on some publications, posters, and getting really good letter of rec by the dean of the graduate med chem program (my PI). I felt like this was a better use of time and professional development overall. I did some other volunteer work at our associated hospital doing med recs in the emergency department among other things.

Do you all think those student orgs are really valuable to be a part of as a general member? And, do you think doing something like research was a better use of time?

I'm not really looking for validation necessarily, but actually curious outside opinions on groups and research.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should reevaluate your view on these organizations and just your perception in general. Of course organizations can be boring; however, what was your contribution? Are you just knocking organizations and saying they were a waste of time or did you actively try and participate and/or organize events? I don't think one is better then the other. I think it is all about your attitude and your contributions. The key is to be well rounded. I would argue they are equally as important. I just think that if someone had done research and not participated in any event or showed their capacity to organize and manage an event and was a general member... I would be curious about this and specifically ask them what was their contribution.

Reactions: 1 users
Like anything else -- it is not what you do but how you do it. I agree with SubstanceK. Its what you put into it. If you made achievements or collectively worked towards a certain goal where you have a vital role in that. Always find a positive in something. If an organization is boring, its easier to make it not boring .... by doing something about it! Playing devils advocate, what about someone that goes to the lab everyday but has nothing to speak to because they dragged out a 'boring' project or continued to do 'mindless work' in the lab without showing any kind of initiative. So there is benefit in EVERYTHING you do ... you just have to find it!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking from a teaching standpoint, most of the pharmacy organizations are useless (even as an officer) unless:
1. It's a frat that has a cheap rent room and you can live with you future colleagues (both PDX and KP chapters have them in certain universities)
2. The place that you want to be a resident in is a hardcore conspiracy that won't accept anyone not in their own organizations (this really applies in MN and WI).
3. You're using their "secret" test files to cheat on the exams. Since I give my previous exams to all students (and that many of the questions are free response).
4. You need lab rats to experiment with your (lack of) social skills. Better practice there than on the job, because they are all the same people but the stakes are low.

For research, unless you intend to consider graduate school, this really will not help your professional development either.

The best thing for professional development is to get an internship (preferably paid) and work when not in class.

Reactions: 1 user
Just being in most organizations is useless. Being an officer or organizer in an org that actually does something can offer valuable leadership experience. It also gives you stories to tell in interviews. ("Tell me about a time to took charge of a group to accomplish something?")

The other thing that does help in certain circumstances is if there are organizations that are specific to your interest area. We like it when we see students who have been in their student PPAG chapter.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd go as far to say that a student with no leadership experience whatsoever is a red flag. Agree with everyone else that just being a member in orgs is pretty much useless. However, being an officer can tell an interview committee how good your interpersonal and leadership skills are, vital qualities for any job. It's all about how much you put into the org, not just how many orgs you pay membership fees for.