Please help. Cosmetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nmrmrmr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a dental student and I really want to go into cosmetic dentistry. I know that we can take CE course but I was wondering if anyone went through this path I want advise on where to start and what should I do since I am still in dental school I want to take advantage of that since the cost will be chapter for students. Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Reality is there are hardly any “cosmetic dentists” in the real world. If by that you mean you spend all day doing veneers on rich people.

Several reasons
Most people don’t have that kind of disposable money for vanity
There are already a hundred dentists on your corner claiming to be a “cosmetic dentist”
It’s by far the worst patient population to actually work on because they have extremely high demands that are often unrealistic.

instead I’d focus on trying to just be competent at fillings and single crown preps, extractions, and easy root canals.
If you can do those well and efficiently and live in an area not completely saturated you will do just fine.

Reactions: 6 users
That being said there are tons of courses that will give you the information to do high end cosmetics but you still need hundreds of reps practicing it and you just won’t have the hand or eye skills for likely several years.

Some to look into you’ll see commonly mentioned
- BAARD institute
- RIPE global
- Strupp and Brumm
- Kois
- LVI
Not trying to discourage your dreams but as a dental student you really need to just master the basics before you fly

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The good news is you can approach every restoration you do as a “cosmetic dentist”.
If you would like to focus exclusively on improving people’s facial appearance (among other things), then you should look into the orthodontic specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, us "regular dentists" make our restorations look like sh^t that patients need "cosmetic dentists." 🤨

One of the cringest things as I went through dental school was the cosmetic dentistry club and their guest speakers in lectures talking as if they're better than general dentists.

As said above, get practice done with patients, learn along the way, and voila, you're a "cosmetic dentist."

There are a few things you can do to kickstart your journey. First off, make the most of any cosmetic dentistry-related courses your school offers. Also, talk to your professors or mentors who might have insights or connections in the field.

Look for workshops or conferences on cosmetic dentistry that you can attend while you're a student. These events often offer discounted rates for students. It's a great way to learn from experts, network, and get a feel for the field.

Consider reaching out to local cosmetic dentists for informational interviews. Most professionals are open to sharing their experiences and advice. You could also inquire about shadowing opportunities to gain hands-on exposure.

Lastly, stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in cosmetic dentistry. Follow reputable dental journals, join online forums or groups, and maybe even start a cosmetic dentistry study group with your peers.