Post-bacc transcript request timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takotsubochronic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Basically have a small conundrum with requesting transcripts. My last classes finish by 5/24, and assuming they get the grades in with a 2 business day turnaround, the grades will be available once applications open up. However, that would mean a transcript request, which would add another 3-5 business days, would put me at early june.

Am I correct in understanding that my only option is to wait until grades are put into our registrar, then request the transcript? Is it possible to request early, then reverify later?

It's a pretty significant issue as there are still 8 credits of grades that are yet to be inputted, and that would leave me below the threshold for schools per MSAR (Schools that consider post-bacc academic performance, but with a minimum credit threshold usually around 28-32)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most registrar web pages will have an option for you to put in the request now, but ask them to wait until final grades of your current term are in.
This is the fastest way you can do it.
It's worth waiting for those credits to show your progress and a few days absolutely don't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Most registrar web pages will have an option for you to put in the request now, but ask them to wait until final grades of your current term are in.
This is the fastest way you can do it.
It's worth waiting for those credits to show your progress and a few days absolutely don't matter.
Thank you,

Just a follow up question, is there any benefit to submitting the application initially with the pending transcript grades, then submit an updated primary when the final transcript grades come in?

It looks like the grades will be in early June, which worry me a bit with getting verified

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you,

Just a follow up question, is there any benefit to submitting the application initially with the pending transcript grades, then submit an updated primary when the final transcript grades come in?

It looks like the grades will be in early June, which worry me a bit with getting verified
1. Any of these maneuvers will end up delaying your application's processing instead of speeding it up, which you seem to be focused on
2. It's best to submit the transcript with your final grades on it so AMCAS only has to process your stuff ONCE.
3. Even though you COULD submit new grades later, AMCAS will not recalculate your GPA again to include them.

Send the transcript that includes the final spring grades

1. Any of these maneuvers will end up delaying your application's processing instead of speeding it up, which you seem to be focused on
2. It's best to submit the transcript with your final grades on it so AMCAS only has to process your stuff ONCE.
3. Even though you COULD submit new grades later, AMCAS will not recalculate your GPA again to include them.

Send the transcript that includes the final spring grades
Thank you. That sucks to hear, would submitting primary around june 7th or so make it in time to transmit day 1 for schools? I'm worried because I've heard some horror stories about verification delays.

Thank you. That sucks to hear, would submitting primary around june 7th or so make it in time to transmit day 1 for schools? I'm worried because I've heard some horror stories about verification delays.
Delays that are self-inflicted are much worse than delays resulting from the system. (See FAFSA.)

You can submit your primary at the end of May if you want to.
As soon as AMCAS also gets your transcript, they will send you a message saying your application is "ready for review", then when it's assigned to a reviewer it changes to "under review" and finally transmitted.
Please read especially pages 2 and 3 of the AMCAS guide.

Thank you,

You will not be verified until AMCAS has your transcript(s).

Another thing.... if you took any coursework elsewhere, such as while in HS or in the summer, be sure to request those transcripts. Otherwise, you'll be asked for them later and it will slow things down.

You will not be verified until AMCAS has your transcript(s).

Another thing.... if you took any coursework elsewhere, such as while in HS or in the summer, be sure to request those transcripts. Otherwise, you'll be asked for them later and it will slow things down.
Thank you for your insight.

Regarding the transcript, what I meant in my comment was I could request a current transcript (which would have SP in the grade field), and if it would be worth getting my primary verified like that initially, then submit an updated/revised application with an update transcript with final grades in it. But it sounds like the consensus is to wait for the final grades to post. My concern is it appears this may be more delayed than initially expected, and final grades may not post until mid june (which may not verify in AMCAS until late july or even august?)

Thank you for your insight.

Regarding the transcript, what I meant in my comment was I could request a current transcript (which would have SP in the grade field), and if it would be worth getting my primary verified like that initially, then submit an updated/revised application with an update transcript with final grades in it. But it sounds like the consensus is to wait for the final grades to post. My concern is it appears this may be more delayed than initially expected, and final grades may not post until mid june (which may not verify in AMCAS until late july or even august?)
Don't be stubborn, waiting until your spring grades are on the transcript will be FASTEST

Don't be stubborn, waiting until your spring grades are on the transcript will be FASTEST
Just worried about grade delays. I've heard horror stories about how long it takes AMCAS to verify with later submissions

Ideally, your application is verified by July 4th but if the grades in this most recent term are very important to you (offering a boost to GPA) then waiting is better. In any case, once your transcripts are submitted, you can't update them.

Just worried about grade delays. I've heard horror stories about how long it takes AMCAS to verify with later submissions
Don't rely on horror stories. Rely on data

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't rely on horror stories. Rely on data
Considering the transcript delay reports for submission 2-3 weeks into the cycle (up to 10 days delayed), then the 30 day turnaround for primary verification with a mid-late june submission, waiting until final grades post in mid june might mean my primary app doesn't verify until august which felt concerning to me.

Ideally, your application is verified by July 4th but if the grades in this most recent term are very important to you (offering a boost to GPA) then waiting is better. In any case, once your transcripts are submitted, you can't update them.
Thank you, that settles it then! Waiting game for me :(

What you can control is the sending of the transcript. Be aware that failure to submit ALL transcripts will hold up verification. If you took summer classes, or classes abroad that were being offered by a school other than your own, if you took earned community college credits for courses taken in HS, you need to request transcripts from those other schools, even if the courses are on your primary transcript.

Every year I see applications be tossed back to the applicant because one or more transcripts are missing.

What you can control is the sending of the transcript. Be aware that failure to submit ALL transcripts will hold up verification. If you took summer classes, or classes abroad that were being offered by a school other than your own, if you took earned community college credits for courses taken in HS, you need to request transcripts from those other schools, even if the courses are on your primary transcript.

Every year I see applications be tossed back to the applicant because one or more transcripts are missing.
For this, I only have
  • Undergraduate credits at my UG institution
  • AP Credits taken in high school (Listed on my UG transcript)
  • Upcoming graduate transcript
  • No study abroads or courses taken at other institutions. Only UG and Graduate
I've entered all grades/courses from both transcripts, including "T" and 0 credit "courses" listed on my UG transcript (this covers AP credits, and a few course waivers)

My understanding was that, since they are listed on my UG transcript, I would not need additional paperwork certifying my AP scores.

I think I have everything, and I dont believe the exception cases listed apply to me. Does this sound like I'm covering my bases correctly?

Thank you!

Actual relevant follow up

I requested a copy of my transcript to myself and found that the AP courses were not listed on the transcript at all beyond a note of 10 total transfer credits. Do you know how I am to proceed with this? I have them currently listed as 3 separate AP classes, with a transcript grade of "T" with a course type of "Advance Placement" because that's how it shows up in the student portal

I don't know how AP credits are handled by AMCAS although I do see on the application the number of AP credits earned by the applicant.

The important point I was making -- to you and to others who might view this thread -- is to include all transcripts for all credits earned from post-secondary institutions to avoid having a delay in verification.

Bit of a problematic update... but I have been told today that the grades would not show up on the official transcript until end of august, as technically these classes fall under "summer session". The registrar will receive final grades by early june, but it will still list in progress on the transcripts until august.

In this case... Do I just submit it with those grades pending?

Bit of a problematic update... but I have been told today that the grades would not show up on the official transcript until end of august, as technically these classes fall under "summer session". The registrar will receive final grades by early june, but it will still list in progress on the transcripts until august.

In this case... Do I just submit it with those grades pending?
Those summer courses are "In progress". So you can apply without those summer grades and check if schools will accept academic updates after your summer grades are in (and how this should be accomplished since AMCAS won't take updates, at least check) or you risk a later application review and submit in September when your grades come in and include all your grades for your GPA.

How important are these grades to your GPA? I'm thinking that you have so many credits at this point that a single summer session will not move the needle very much and you are best off submitting the transcript ASAP rather than waiting to be verified in September.

Reactions: 1 users
How important are these grades to your GPA? I'm thinking that you have so many credits at this point that a single summer session will not move the needle very much and you are best off submitting the transcript ASAP rather than waiting to be verified in September.
The grades are graduate/smp grades for non-med block courses. Wouldn't shift my graduate GPA as I am at a 4.0, and doesn't get factored into ugpa i believe.

One concern is that I see on MSAR a few of my target schools have a minimum number of postbacc/graduate credit hours needed before they would consider postbacc/graduate performance (hofstra requires 32, for instance).

Those summer courses are "In progress". So you can apply without those summer grades and check if schools will accept academic updates after your summer grades are in (and how this should be accomplished since AMCAS won't take updates, at least check) or you risk a later application review and submit in September when your grades come in and include all your grades for your GPA.
Should this be a case by case outreach via email?