Quoted: A second start at med school

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From a medical student

I guess this is not an uncommon story. I came into medical school full of confidence and optimism, having gotten accepted at several osteopathic schools after leaving a successful software career, and proceeded to fail most of my anatomy, histology, and biochemistry tests during the first term.

When it became clear I could not realistically pull my anatomy and histo scores up enough to pass the first term, they allowed me to drop anatomy and histology and retake them next year, pushing graduation back a year. I was thus able to focus almost exclusively on biochemistry, but even with all that extra time I couldn't pull my grade up enough to pass. So I went to the dean and requested a leave of absence until the next fall, which was granted. I'll restart MS1 next year.

Needless to say, my self-confidence has taken a real hit from this experience. I am a loner who did not get into a study group or find a study partner until too late. My study habits are poor and I tend to lose focus easily. I have always done well in undergraduate because of my native intelligence and last minute cramming and paper-writing, but obviously that's not going to fly in med school. The one evening I spent with a study partner before a biochem exam made a huge difference and I am convinced that I should study this way in the future to stay focused.

Now I have to find a job until next September, or at least until the summer when I'm hoping to take a summer gross anatomy class to jump start my next try at medical school. I'm also going to take night classes if possible in biochemistry, neuroanatomy, etc. and bolster my study skills and knowledge base.

The problem is, I'm worried that when I go back in I'll be unrealistically optimistic once more and will bomb out again, probably ending my medical career forever. Deep inside I wonder if I simply am not cut out for this profession and that I'm taking a seat away from a more deserving student. I got a high MCAT, medium grades, and physician friends always say I'd make a great doctor--"we need more people like you!" And that has always bolstered my confidence that I can do it, but when push came to shove I fell totally flat on my face.

Does anyone have any (gentle) advice to get back on track? What would you recommend for someone trying to pick up the pieces and start again? Would it be better long term to borrow more money and just take 3-4 undergrad courses in the spring term rather than work (too late for the fall term), to try to get my head screwed on straight, or would that just be spinning my wheels?

Members don't see this ad.

From a medical student
UI am in your similar situation except I got dismissed. I am taking the essential bio classes and reappplying. I have one interview with Ross and I worry that if I get accepted, will the same thing happen again. I have been taking some biology classes in the meantime.

I am also worried if any other medical school will interview me since I have a track record. I did not lie in my applications, but sometimes I think honesty sucks.

On an upper note, I have some friend who were also in the similar situation as yours and now they are doing so well the second time around.

there are diff ways to study.

personally, i am completely distracted by computers so try to be around them as less time as possible.

on the other hand, you may need a study buddy just to have someone that will keep you from being distracted and wandering off.

but basically, if you can someone force yourself to just sit in front of your books for 5 hours a day and you should be in position to pass.

Does anyone have any (gentle) advice to get back on track? What would you recommend for someone trying to pick up the pieces and start again? Would it be better long term to borrow more money and just take 3-4 undergrad courses in the spring term rather than work (too late for the fall term), to try to get my head screwed on straight, or would that just be spinning my wheels?

I would encourage you to work during the spring term but to take the opportunity, with the advice of your classmates and the deans, to review tapes, notes, etc for the fall classes. You really want to get of to a good start. Undergrad classes won't do that. But, if you know the first month's material well, you'll have a lot of confidence built up. This doesn't work for new entering students because they don't know what to study and how it is tested. But you do and you can access your friends in the class for advice.

Otherwise, the key is to be serious about forming study groups. Unlike undergrad, you are synthesizing and memorizing key aspects of a lot of material - this is not a solo task, but one done with a peer group. Many, many students have done just what you did and learned how to study in a group the second time around and done much better.

I am certain that you can do it - that's why you were admitted. Come back in the fall with some knowledge and a plan for how to study and interact in the class and you'll do great.

Just an extra note about study groups.

Study groups are great because one student may have a different perspective on the same topic that you may have never thought about. Also, it's the perfect opportunity to ask questions you may have and clarify any misunderstandings.

This is where the slippery slope begins though. Many students form study groups thinking that they'll learn the material within these study groups. And for some, that's perfectly doable. Personally, however, I find it extremely difficult. Read the material before hand. Study by yourself. Then go into the study groups to bounce material off each other and review.

Also, again, personally, I find it very difficult to study in large groups. I find 3-4 people the best. Of course, all this really depends on what kind of learner you are. I'm just offering advice from my study habits.