Quoted: Med school ECs and applications

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting this here, slightly edited for simplification, as the types of issues raised are common. I am aware the general themes raised are discussed on the other open forums frequently. Please make any comments specific to the questions asked here, not more general about admissions to med school.

-------------------------
I got an invitation for Closed-file interview which is good news but it comes with the possibility of not making through it because of high interview/acceptance ratio and following:

1) I have only one shadowing exp. and started volunterring today in patient care.

2)I have worked more than 45 hrs/week for 2 yrs in US before starting US college. working part-time after college start.
Cannot work fulltime because taking 17hrs/sem. including summer.

3) I have done two weeks of volunteering in research under guy A who works under guy B. Guy B told me to give job in jan. I was supposed to volunteer only two hrs per day for 4 days/week under guy A. Guy A told Guy B that I disappeared at the end of two hrs which is not true because i did ask for his permission before leaving. Guy B gave this excuse for saying that I have time commitment issues. Guy B asked me to work for 2 weeks without clock-in/out to check my time commitment and then decide on job offer. Seeing this as kind of game, I tactfully rejected the job offer.

4) dropped out of research with college prof.

PROBLEM: I had updated colleges that I am doing volunteering in research and will be offered job if good performance ( STUPID MISTAKE).
Guy B is working for that college.

Question:
interview is going to be closed file.
1)With no leadership exp. such as leadership among peers as mentioned by LizzyM in a thread " what stands out in adcomm eyes", how am I going to answer leadership related questions such as
"Are you a leader or a follower? Why?"
If I say leader, I've nothing to support it.
I am thinking of saying that I lead myself through hardships after immigrating and during bad days. Still not satisfactory.

2) If asked about job w/Guy B, I plan to say schedule conflict as my answer.

Am I anyway doomed? Can I trust my advisor with above info? advisor has contacts at that college.

Members don't see this ad.