Quoted: Medical student who failed an exam

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A medical student asks:

I just found out online that I failed an exam and it was strongly recommended that I meet with the theme leader or dean asap. Should I do this? Will it draw attention to who I am and the failing grade and my abilities (or lack thereof)? Is it bad that after meeting with them they will know me by name/face and can identify my "rank" in my class? Or would it be helpful in some way (which I am not aware of)? I know that they will probably offer me with a tutor which may or may not help me. I don't know. I know that my study habits have to change and I'm making a conscious effort to do better.

Absolutely - you should go. As you recognize, the reason they want this meeting is to provide advice. They are not trying to brand you. It can be very difficult for students who have accomplished so much that they are accepted to medical school to go talk to someone about failing an exam, but it is a good idea and you should do so. Good luck and pay attention to what is being suggested. They are genuinely trying to help. Ultimately, the solution is in your hands, but others can help and want to provide you with the resources you need to be successful.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Tildy. I am a bit confused about your post, though. It's unclear to me if:

1. Your school has anonymous tests. You failed, but no one but you knows that.

or

2. Your school doesn't have anonymous tests.

Either way, you want to do something about this. If #2, then the Dean / Theme leader will likely already know about it. It will end up in your dean's letter / trasncript, etc. In this case, being proactive about it, accepting responsibility, getting help, and improving your performance will clearly help. Ignoring the problem will be a disaster, especially if you were to fail something else in the future.

If it's #1, then nobody knows but you. You might think that if you just keep quiet, it will go away and not cause you any problems in the future. fact is, if you don't deal with this you will likely fail something else / fail or do poorly on the USMLE's / etc.

So, either way, get help and support!

I'm sorry, I wasn't totally clear, but I actually don't know if it's anonymous. I'm going to assume that the dean/theme leader know though. I made an appt. with the theme leader regardless. I hope will help me somehow. The exam I failed is actually an interim exam, there is another exam before the final grade for this theme is determined.

Glad to hear it.