Quoted:Not completing minor - will it cause acceptance to be revoked?

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I recently informed a school that due to reaching maximum amounts of units given by my undergrad institution, I will not be able to complete my minor-Spanish (I'm three classes short). The director of admissions that I spoke with told me to send them a letter so that the committee could "consider" it. I am losing sleep over this. I thought I was doing the right thing (the honest thing) by updating them about this. But, now I feel like I'm going to lose my top choice school because I'm just three classes away from completing my minor (which is not even required for medical school).

I already wrote a very nice letter explaining that I have completed my major and all the prereqs for med school. Moreover, I told them that I am very involved in all my other extracurricular activities and my job. I also explained to them that my GPA went up since the time I filled out my primary application to show them that this is NOT a case of senioritis. People have been asking me why I even brought it to their attention in the first place. I only told them because I was scared that not informing them earlier would lead to a problem when I'm about to matriculate at this medical school in august.

Please let me know what you think about this. I am really depressed and anxious. This is a very bad Christmas if after getting my hopes up (because of an acceptance at my top choice school) just lead to a revoking of my acceptance.

thanks!

Hi - I'm certain that others will weigh in on this, but my take on this is that they want to be sure they understand the situation before saying that it is okay. I'm not sure I understand the reason you gave for not completing the minor so it's quite possible that the adcom dean didn't entirely understand the reason or immediately accept it. By writing a letter in which you explain the circumstance clearly, it gives them a chance to evaluate the situation and become comfortable with what happened.

It is very likely that this will not affect your admission to this school. Still, they need to look at the whole application and be sure that they don't feel like you were not entirely upfront during the application process. Again, the overwhelming probability is that they still will want you, and it is crucial that you are very clear in your explanations. Avoid saying things like "this minor wasn't required for medical school." The school may have felt that it was important in evaluating your application and you should not focus their attention on this issue.

I would note that throughout your medical career you will be asked to explain things you have done. This includes morbidity and mortality conferences and even daily rounds. Be prepared for the challenges this presents. Consider this as a chance to learn a bit about explaining yourself and facing a review that will, in all probability, end up in your favor.

Good luck and I hope you can have a nice holiday despite this, or better yet, that they reassure you before the holiday!

Members don't see this ad.

inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale...

I am only a student interviewer, but I am pretty sure this will NOT affect your application. Some colleges do not even allow students the option of minoring in a subject. Some colleges do not even require majors. When I look at the application of a student who I am interviewing I am interested in the major/minor only out of curiosity, but this area really is not that important a factor on the application. Grades, scores, activities personal statement and, most importantly, anything that shows you are motivated to be a physician and know the demands of what this goal requires are far more important.

Not accepting someone because s/he "cannot minor in Spanish for reasons beyond his/her control" is ludicris. Would you even want to go to a school that discriminates based on such petty values?

I guess I am just tying to get you to relax and enjor christmas a little. I am not the person who selects candidates for interview, but I have a little insight into the process and from this experience I really doubt it would make any difference what so ever :)

Good luck! Hope this puts your mind at ease a little.

Can't you petition your undergraduate institution to be able to take above the max allowable credits? Where I went to college this was easy, especially if you have amazing grades which I assume you do if you got into medical school. Tell your academic dean that you made a mistake and that this is jeopardizing your chance to go to medical school. You are already accepted, which means all you have to do get B's so the extra load shouldn't be too hard. I'm assuming that you are only 1 class-worth (i.e. 3-4 credits at most schools) over the limit for spring semester.

If it were me, I would set up a meeting pronto with the academic dean at your undergrad school and tell him your predicament. I would figure out some way to take that class. Take it in the summer if you have to. Then I would call the medical school dean back and tell him you are so sorry for the confusion; now you have it figured out.