Quoted: What happens once an acceptance is offered?

MSmentor020

DO/Single student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a strange position. I do not have the best stats, low GPA but above average MCATs 34R. I have one scheduled interview coming up and I am waiting to hear back form schools for others. I am anticipating at least one more, probably 2 more interviews but these may not come for some time. The interview I have is with a DO school and they typically make a decision in 1-2 weeks after the interviews to grant acceptances. An applicant then has around 2 weeks to I guess accept the invitation and to put a deposit down. I guess my questions are:

1. What happens once you are offered an acceptance?

2. Does this mean I must withdraw my other applications to other schools?

3. Can I still be considered for MD schools if I place a deposit down on a DO?

4. What exactly does a deposit obligate me too?

I am not sure what this means and I have been given different answers to these questions. I am worried that if I try to wait for other interviews and they don't come that I may lose my possible seat in the first school. I know this is sort of convoluted and may make no sense but I am lost as to what happens once you are offered a spot. In undergrad you could wait and see what else comes along and then decide, is it the same for medical school?

Thanks

1. You receive an email (sometimes) and a hardcopy of your acceptance letter along with some Welcoming guides and Introduction Packets.

2. No, you do NOT have to withdraw from your other schools. Many students keep several acceptances until the cut off days (ie. when deposits are due).

3. Of course!

4. Sending in a deposit is nothing more than saving a seat for you in their class. You are welcome to withdraw at any time (of course, losing your deposit in the process). But it just guarantees you a place in the Medical Class for next year.

Most students do hold acceptances to see if something better comes along. The problem that lies in this process is: 1) you have to send in multiple deposits and 2) you're keeping a seat from someone else who might really want it.

Most students do hold though until the 2nd deposits are due. I know I held 2 acceptances until then as well. Best of Luck to you and Hope this helps you out!

Members don't see this ad.

The one caveat I'd add is that if you are applying to both DO and MD programs, you can hold acceptances in both (and multiple acceptances in both, actually) but some DO schools require large, non-refundable deposits. Most (if not all) MD schools have deposits from $100-300 that are refundable until a particular date.

All I really know is my experience.

I somehow convinced 3 schools that I was fit to be a medical student :)laugh:)

At any rate, I was accepted to WVSOM in November. I had until December 14th to pay their deposit, but got my CCOM acceptance right before I had to pay. When I was accepted to CCOM, I called WVSOM within a few days to let them know that I was "releasing" my seat. I ended up paying my CCOM deposit (1000 USD) but ended up forfeiting that seat when I was accepted to PCOM in March...

Try not to hold more than one seat at a time... it's not fair to other applicants.