Quoted: What to do (med school admissions related)

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a med school application question

Well, I am going to start volunteering in research with a person who is also the professor and adcom member of the college I wish to join and have applied for coming cycle. The person is a professor of my field of interest.

I didn't knew this fact before saying yes.

The person told me that if interviewed , I can ask to be interviewed by that person.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing and not doing so?

How cautious and warned I should be?

I can not say NO to volunteering because I only have one shadowing so far.
Also, volunteering is in my future field of practice indicated at all colleges I've applied. Also, I've updated all colleges with the fact that I will be starting research.

BIG THANK YOU

I would personally recommend getting a letter of recommendation from this professor and indicating on your application that you worked with them. I would make no particular requests about who interviews you. If they match you up with that person, you can let the admissions office know of the relationship, but the onus is no longer on you.

I have not heard of an adcom member (excluding a Dean) interviewing someone who worked in their lab, but of course, it could be acceptable elsewhere. It is your job to ensure that you have made it clear the relationship. In my opinion, the best thing is for this faculty to write you a letter, not interview you. If it is past the time for regular letters, they could also send a supplemental letter directly to the medical school admissions dean.

Members don't see this ad.