Reapplicant advice - update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenmjfan

Reaction score
Hello all!!! I am currently on the waitlist for one more school but as it is approaching the matriculation of classes I want to begin applying for another cycle. I know I am too late for this cycle so I will be planning my application for matriculation in 2026 (submitting my primaries next June). I have wrote information about my stats and experience below! This was my second cycle applying so I will be preparing to apply for my third cycle.

Since I have a whole year to prepare for this next cycle I am open to any and all suggestions! I am considering retaking the MCAT too because I know that is one place I definitely could improve. This would be my fourth re write though which I heard has it's own risks and red flags so please let me know your advice too!

Also one other note is I am from Canada but I am a US permanent resident so I am able to apply to all schools being a resident already!

Stats
  • GPA = 3.86, MCAT = 510, MA resident
  • My first and second MCAT attempt were in 2021 (505, 506) and then my third MCAT attempt was in April 2022.
  • My science GPA is about a 3.8 and same for BCPM.
  • The first cycle I applied I interviewed at western Michigan and was waitlisted, and this cycle I interviewed at Albany and am currently on the alternate list (entire school list is below)

Research
  • 1 small publication that I did with my class during undergrad and then work on another research paper that was not published
  • Research in a breast cancer lab during my undergraduate degree - 240 hours
Clinical volunteer: total of 80 hours volunteering in a hospital
Non clinical volunteer: total of 300 hours - volunteer work throughout the pandemic, volunteer work for a local foster home, and then also for a local program right now (helping with fundraising)

Employment
  • medical scribe - 800 hours
  • clinical research associate - 900 hours
  • project manager at biotech - 1500 hours
  • teaching assistant - 130 hours
Extra
  • Competitive swimming - this was during high school but was a very large defining feature in creating who I am so I included it on my primaries
  • Spin instructor - 100 hours - leadership
  • Shadowing - only 40 hours in person and then 60 hours virtually
Thank you all for your help!!!

Complete school list from previous cycle (is there anywhere I have not applied you would recommend???)
  • Albany Medical College
  • New York Medical Colleg
  • Boston University School of Medicine
  • George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  • University of Massachusetts Medical School
  • Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
  • University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
  • Suny upstate
  • University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
  • The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown
  • UniversityCase Western Reserve
  • University School of Medicine
  • Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  • Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
  • Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  • Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
  • Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
  • Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  • Tufts University School of Medicine
  • University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
  • Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  • Tulane University School of Medicine
  • Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  • Drexel University College of Medicine
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
  • University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  • Belmont

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT isn't horrible, but what were your other MCAT attempts (and when)?

Science GPA? BCPM?

What is different for the pending reapplication? Where did you interview/get decisions? If you are delaying a full year (submitting for entering 2026), what are your specific improvements you will work on over the next year?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT isn't horrible, but what were your other MCAT attempts (and when)?

Science GPA??

What is different for the pending reapplication? Where did you interview/get decisions? If you are delaying a full year (submitting for entering 2026), what are your specific improvements you will work on over the next year?
My first and second MCAT attempt were in 2021 (505, 506) and then my third MCAT attempt was in April 2022.

My science GPA is about a 3.8 and same for BCPM.

The first cycle I applied I interviewed at western michigan and was waitlisted, and this cycle I interviewed at Albany and am currently on the alternate list.

In terms of specific improvements that is what I am seeking advice on!

Reactions: 1 user
Virtual shadow hours are not worth putting on an app.

Non clinical volunteering is potentially a weak spot. What exactly is the breakdown for those 300 hours? Peer mentor falls more into teaching usually and the local program ideally would need to be one that helps those less fortunate.

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Tufts University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
Belmont

The above are the schools that were more realistic for you.
Again, what exactly is the breakdown for those 300 non-clinical hours? Fundraising is not really non-clinical volunteering. Volunteering during the pandemic can mean a range of things. Working with foster kids is a noble activity, but if it was for minimal hours compared to the other 2, then I would say that non-clinical volunteering is a weakness (and a reason many of the above schools passed on your app).

Even if you get substantial hours through something like a food bank, Big Brothers Big Sisters, or a local homeless shelter, you will still need DO schools on your list.

Those are the ones I applied to
The above are the schools that were more realistic for you.
Again, what exactly is the breakdown for those 300 non-clinical hours? Fundraising is not really non-clinical volunteering. Volunteering during the pandemic can mean a range of things. Working with foster kids is a noble activity, but if it was for minimal hours compared to the other 2, then I would say that non-clinical volunteering is a weakness (and a reason many of the above schools passed on your app).

Even if you get substantial hours through something like a food bank, Big Brothers Big Sisters, or a local homeless shelter, you will still need DO schools on your list.
Hello! Thank you for your response! those schools are the one I applied to and was not accepted!

During the pandemic the volunteer work I did was for a call center so I was responsible for calling individuals who tested positive and to check up on them during their 14 day isolation!

Also the Foster activity as well as the peer mentor activity is similar to big brothers big sisters! But I agree that this is a weak part of my application so I am definitely going to get hours in at a local food bank/homeless shelter!!

Are there any other MD schools you would recommend?

Those are the ones I applied to

Hello! Thank you for your response! those schools are the one I applied to and was not accepted!

During the pandemic the volunteer work I did was for a call center so I was responsible for calling individuals who tested positive and to check up on them during their 14 day isolation!

Also the Foster activity as well as the peer mentor activity is similar to big brothers big sisters! But I agree that this is a weak part of my application so I am definitely going to get hours in at a local food bank/homeless shelter!!

Are there any other MD schools you would recommend?
You can add Wayne State, TCU, MCW, and any schools that will open up during the next year (Alice Walton should be one).

For DO, I suggest:

PCOM
UNE
NYIT
Touro NY
KCU
DMU
Marian
LECOM
Campbell
KCOM (Kirksville)