Reapplicant School List Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hhig

Reaction score
Hey all I am new here and was hoping for your expertise. I applied in the 2021 cycle and was waitlisted at 2 NYS public schools. I am applying in this upcoming cycle for 2023 matriculation and am struggling with what schools are reasonable to apply to that are not too ridiculous of a reach but I am still competitive for.

Stats:
3.99 GPA (Note: I also took graduate chemistry classes senior year, all A’s)
MCAT: 515 (131/126/131/127) (July 2020)

EC’s (At time of submission):

Community Service:

65 hours (over 1 year period)

This was my weakest area when I last applied. I cannot volunteer as many hours as I would like with working, but I am volunteering once a week at my current organization which I really enjoy.

Shadowing: 30 hours ophthalmology surgery, 60 hours in office

Hospital Volunteering: 43 hours

Other Clinical: 450 as a medical assistant in primary care

Research:

700 undergrad (orgo w/ thesis)

1600 research in hematology. Have some pretty unique work at my current job such as rodent surgery.

Others:
Honors College, Phi Beta Kappa, national ACS orgo award, undergrad research grant, blah blah blah

Significant Issues:

My MCAT is not as great as it could be especially with CARS and Psych so low, but it’s simply not worth retaking even if I had the time. Also, this score is from July 2020, and I know some schools will harp on me for not having a recent score.

I haven’t had clinical experience since June of 2020. Pretty much all clinical volunteering is paused where I am, and I quite frankly had to prioritize between job (research) and community service. Please don’t assume I haven’t tried. I’ve had current physicians I know help me with this, and it’s been a dead end. Yes, I’ve tried COVID vaccination or testing sites. You cannot get a position for this.

Again, I would appreciate any help with schools I am reasonably competitive at as I am struggling to start a list. Even just suggestions of schools I should look more into would be appreciated. I think my stats are decent, but I am not sure if I am underestimating or overestimating my competitiveness as I am hesitant from being rejected last cycle. If I am confident I want to pursue being a physician above all else, should I also apply DO for insurance? Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, sorry to hear it was a tough cycle for you. Unless you mean 2020-21 cycle, the waitlists could still lead to something so it’s not quite done even if it’s wise to think ahead.

If so, I don’t think that your MCAT was an issue. Unless things have really changed from when I applied a few years back, you have a solid score and spread. Yes, age of the score will start to slowly become an issue so you’ll have to confirm score eligibility if it comes to that. I do think community service might be an area to gain more experience but it sounds like you’re working on that. Also keep trying to seek more hospital/clinical volunteering wherever possible.

What I, and maybe others, might be most curious about is what schools did you apply to last time? Sometimes the list composition makes all the difference. I think you should include DO when you next apply.

Firstly, sorry to hear it was a tough cycle for you. Unless you mean 2020-21 cycle, the waitlists could still lead to something so it’s not quite done even if it’s wise to think ahead.

If so, I don’t think that your MCAT was an issue. Unless things have really changed from when I applied a few years back, you have a solid score and spread. Yes, age of the score will start to slowly become an issue so you’ll have to confirm score eligibility if it comes to that. I do think community service might be an area to gain more experience but it sounds like you’re working on that. Also keep trying to seek more hospital/clinical volunteering wherever possible.

What I, and maybe others, might be most curious about is what schools did you apply to last time? Sometimes the list composition makes all the difference. I think you should include DO when you next apply.
This was for 2021 matriculation. I appreciate the sentiment, although I am not very upset about having to reapply and have been making the most of it and think it was for the best.

My school list was pretty small which definitely hurt me. Between COVID, studying for MCAT, and background work on undergrad thesis in the summer, I didn’t necessarily have the means to spend 4+ grand on a huge list of schools. I was focused on state schools with a few reaches I was well in the median stats for. Having a real source of income this time around I can apply to as many schools as I would like, and I think I am more competitive given added EC’s and life experiences. However, I also don’t want to simply apply to 50 schools just because I can, and with my narrow school list last time that is why I am asking for help.

-Buffalo
-Upstate
-Downstate
-Stony Brook
-Rochester
-South Carolina Greenville
-NYMC
-Einstein
-Tufts
-Brown
I am missing two I cannot remember or find my application file but I know I was median MCAT for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good on you for taking the positives from the experience and working to improve. I think you’re on the right track. When you reapply, make sure you rewrite your personal statement and app to reflect that growth.

I agree with your list assessment. I applied to 14 schools, and I thought that was a low number, when you probably want closer to double that. Risky but fortunately worked out in my case. Unless there‘s something absolutely essential keeping you in the NY area, you definitely want to apply broadly this time.

I’d say include all your state schools again as your start. Limit reach schools to the 2-3 that most pique your interest. Then the rest should be the broad foundation for which you are competitive or more so. Some suggestions to take a look at include: Boston University, Drexel, Georgetown, PennState, Rosalind Franklin, Saint Louis University, Sidney Kimmel Medical College, Tulane University, University of Kentucky, etc.

Some DO schools to consider include: Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kansas City University College of Medicine, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine. Be sure to look into some of the unique elements the DO process may still demand, since I’m not sure how much has changed (Ex. DO letter).

Lastly, I’m going to call upon @Faha , who I know is very helpful with these lists and may be willing to add more for you. Otherwise, best of luck and I hope you rock it next cycle!

Good on you for taking the positives from the experience and working to improve. I think you’re on the right track. When you reapply, make sure you rewrite your personal statement and app to reflect that growth.

I agree with your list assessment. I applied to 14 schools, and I thought that was a low number, when you probably want closer to double that. Risky but fortunately worked out in my case. Unless there‘s something absolutely essential keeping you in the NY area, you definitely want to apply broadly this time.

I’d say include all your state schools again as your start. Limit reach schools to the 2-3 that most pique your interest. Then the rest should be the broad foundation for which you are competitive or more so. Some suggestions to take a look at include: Boston University, Drexel, Georgetown, PennState, Rosalind Franklin, Saint Louis University, Sidney Kimmel Medical College, Tulane University, University of Kentucky, etc.

Some DO schools to consider include: Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kansas City University College of Medicine, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine. Be sure to look into some of the unique elements the DO process may still demand, since I’m not sure how much has changed (Ex. DO letter).

Lastly, I’m going to call upon @Faha , who I know is very helpful with these lists and may be willing to add more for you. Otherwise, best of luck and I hope you rock it next cycle!
Thank you so much for you help!

Hey all I am new here and was hoping for your expertise. I applied in the 2021 cycle and was waitlisted at 2 NYS public schools. I am applying in this upcoming cycle for 2023 matriculation and am struggling with what schools are reasonable to apply to that are not too ridiculous of a reach but I am still competitive for.

Stats:
3.99 GPA (Note: I also took graduate chemistry classes senior year, all A’s)
MCAT: 515 (131/126/131/127) (July 2020)

EC’s (At time of submission):

Community Service:

65 hours (over 1 year period)

This was my weakest area when I last applied. I cannot volunteer as many hours as I would like with working, but I am volunteering once a week at my current organization which I really enjoy.

Shadowing: 30 hours ophthalmology surgery, 60 hours in office

Hospital Volunteering: 43 hours

Other Clinical: 450 as a medical assistant in primary care

Research:

700 undergrad (orgo w/ thesis)

1600 research in hematology. Have some pretty unique work at my current job such as rodent surgery.

Others:
Honors College, Phi Beta Kappa, national ACS orgo award, undergrad research grant, blah blah blah

Significant Issues:

My MCAT is not as great as it could be especially with CARS and Psych so low, but it’s simply not worth retaking even if I had the time. Also, this score is from July 2020, and I know some schools will harp on me for not having a recent score.

I haven’t had clinical experience since June of 2020. Pretty much all clinical volunteering is paused where I am, and I quite frankly had to prioritize between job (research) and community service. Please don’t assume I haven’t tried. I’ve had current physicians I know help me with this, and it’s been a dead end. Yes, I’ve tried COVID vaccination or testing sites. You cannot get a position for this.

Again, I would appreciate any help with schools I am reasonably competitive at as I am struggling to start a list. Even just suggestions of schools I should look more into would be appreciated. I think my stats are decent, but I am not sure if I am underestimating or overestimating my competitiveness as I am hesitant from being rejected last cycle. If I am confident I want to pursue being a physician above all else, should I also apply DO for insurance? Thanks everyone.
I would agree that having such a small school list last cycle didn't do you any favors but it's honestly hard for me to see a 3.99/515 having to commit to DO schools.

As far as your application is concerned, I think the clinical hours are actually pretty good because it's about 500 hours total and your research is obviously pretty strong as well. I know that you've acknowledged this already, but to me the thing that's killing your app (other than potentially LoRs, writing, timing, etc.) is the lack of service. Many mid/low tier schools have a strong focus on service to the underserved and now, even research-focused schools are focusing on that as well. My advice would be to really try to find anything, whether it's working at a soup kitchen or a food bank, that allows you to get direct contact with the less-fortunate. If you can add 100 hours in that area, you could potentially boost your application quite a bit.

Also, your MCAT may expire at a few schools, but I don't think you have to be too worried - a friend of mine is applying in the 2022 cycle with an MCAT from August 2019 and he's had no trouble finding schools that love him.

For your school list, your GPA/MCAT (your service hours may disadvantage you at some of these places) and your research would definitely put you in the range for schools like Hofstra, Colorado, Tulane, GW, GU, VCU, EVMS, Virginia Tech, Vermont, USF, UCF, Creighton, Loyola chicago, Western Michigan, etc.

I would agree that having such a small school list last cycle didn't do you any favors but it's honestly hard for me to see a 3.99/515 having to commit to DO schools.

As far as your application is concerned, I think the clinical hours are actually pretty good because it's about 500 hours total and your research is obviously pretty strong as well. I know that you've acknowledged this already, but to me the thing that's killing your app (other than potentially LoRs, writing, timing, etc.) is the lack of service. Many mid/low tier schools have a strong focus on service to the underserved and now, even research-focused schools are focusing on that as well. My advice would be to really try to find anything, whether it's working at a soup kitchen or a food bank, that allows you to get direct contact with the less-fortunate. If you can add 100 hours in that area, you could potentially boost your application quite a bit.

Also, your MCAT may expire at a few schools, but I don't think you have to be too worried - a friend of mine is applying in the 2022 cycle with an MCAT from August 2019 and he's had no trouble finding schools that love him.

For your school list, your GPA/MCAT (your service hours may disadvantage you at some of these places) and your research would definitely put you in the range for schools like Hofstra, Colorado, Tulane, GW, GU, VCU, EVMS, Virginia Tech, Vermont, USF, UCF, Creighton, Loyola chicago, Western Michigan, etc.
Thank you for the response! I really appreciate the input. My current volunteering is at a food bank. I started around October and go once a week for about 2 hours putting me around 60 hours at the time of AMCAS submission.

I do have another question for you, any med students, or probably better, any physicians or ADCOM:

I have still been reaching out to hospitals around me and there is a good possibility that some will reopen to volunteers soon. With my current situation of needing more community service hours, but also not having clinical exposure in 2 years, do you think it would be better to volunteer once a week at food bank and once a week at hospital, or better to focus on community service and aim for twice a week to bump up hours since I have a fair amount of clinical experience. In all honesty, I think that I’ve had sufficient and diverse clinical exposure although I would like to re-engage in clinical settings. I think my time would be better spent focusing on community service, but I am asking from a competitiveness and admissions perspective. I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this. Thanks again.

IMO it would be better to focus on the community service, but I could definitely see an argument for doing both at the same time.

This was for 2021 matriculation. I appreciate the sentiment, although I am not very upset about having to reapply and have been making the most of it and think it was for the best.

My school list was pretty small which definitely hurt me. Between COVID, studying for MCAT, and background work on undergrad thesis in the summer, I didn’t necessarily have the means to spend 4+ grand on a huge list of schools. I was focused on state schools with a few reaches I was well in the median stats for. Having a real source of income this time around I can apply to as many schools as I would like, and I think I am more competitive given added EC’s and life experiences. However, I also don’t want to simply apply to 50 schools just because I can, and with my narrow school list last time that is why I am asking for help.

-Buffalo
-Upstate
-Downstate
-Stony Brook
-Rochester
-South Carolina Greenville
-NYMC
-Einstein
-Tufts
-Brown
I am missing two I cannot remember or find my application file but I know I was median MCAT for them.

You definitely need a larger school list IMHO, mostly private schools who take students in your MCAT range. Here are some suggestions:

SLU
Wake
USC
UMiami
Western Michigan Stryker
Wayne State
Tulane
Assuming you are from New York - you didn't apply to Albany?
Emory (reach)
BU (reach)
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
UNTHSC

Even though you are a strong applicant, you are relatively average compared to other strong applicants. So your best bet is to expand your school list to have a solid shot at landing an MD acceptance!

Also - you have a shot at still getting in this cycle with 2 waitlist spots :)

You definitely need a larger school list IMHO, mostly private schools who take students in your MCAT range. Here are some suggestions:

SLU
Wake
USC
UMiami
Western Michigan Stryker
Wayne State
Tulane
Assuming you are from New York - you didn't apply to Albany?
Emory (reach)
BU (reach)
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
UNTHSC

Even though you are a strong applicant, you are relatively average compared to other strong applicants. So your best bet is to expand your school list to have a solid shot at landing an MD acceptance!
Emory and BU are not reaches for his stats.

You might not need to have another cycle - many will be accepted from waitlists in the spring. Hold tight.

for his stats

I wasn't referring to his stats. Both BU and especially Emory put an extremely high emphasis on non-clinical volunteering and community service and, in terms of sheer numbers, are one of the most applied to med schools in the country.

I wasn't referring to his stats. Both BU and especially Emory put an extremely high emphasis on non-clinical volunteering and community service and, in terms of sheer numbers, are one of the most applied to med schools in the country.
Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. With what you said about some schools, in my case, should I strive for more hours with the community service I am doing (I.e. twice a week), or split my time with clinical volunteering as well? I’m not sure how much schools will view me in a negative light for not having any clinical experiences since COVID and I am a bit worried about this. But at the same time, it will take away from building my community service hours which may really help me at some schools.

You may have missed my post above, but these waitlists were last year for starting in fall 2021, so that has long passed. I took this current cycle off before reapplying for a 2023 enrollment.

Thanks again

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. With what you said about some schools, in my case, should I strive for more hours with the community service I am doing (I.e. twice a week), or split my time with clinical volunteering as well? I’m not sure how much schools will view me in a negative light for not having any clinical experiences since COVID and I am a bit worried about this. But at the same time, it will take away from building my community service hours which may really help me at some schools.

You may have missed my post above, but these waitlists were last year for starting in fall 2021, so that has long passed. I took this current cycle off before reapplying for a 2023 enrollment.

Thanks again

Your current 65 hours are extremely low - see if you can do 8-10 hours per week for the next ~10-15 weeks so that you can get into the 150+ hour range. You current clinical volunteering, while low, is ok given your time with clinical employment.

Apply early, within 2 weeks of AMCAS opening. More importantly, submit secondaries early!!

I saw University of Kentucky suggested. If you do not have strong ties to the area, I would not apply there. While you can apply to Georgetown if you want, the other Jesuit schools like Loyola, Creighton and Saint Louis will expect far more volunteering and service to those less fortunate than you can gain in the next few months. Tulane is similar. Similarly to UK, don’t apply to South Carolina. Consider Hofstra as mentioned before, Hackensack, UVA, Cincinnati, Ohio State (these public schools have taken a decent # of out of state applicants). Other suggestions from prior posters are good.

If doing DO, also apply to NYIT and Touro’s New York campuses.