Reapplying this cycle with clinical heavy app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calmed23

Reaction score
I applied in the 2022 cycle, and then took last year off. Debating applying this cycle, not sure what I would do in the upcoming year to drastically improve my chances. Non-trad applicant with non-science major that did not take med school prerequisites in college but have been taking courses when I can. Worth reapplying this cycle?

California resident, ORM

uGPA:
3.75 - Political Science and Biological Anthropology (state school)
MSc GPA: 3.9 - Bioethics (Ivy League)

MCAT: 507 124/128/126/129, planning on retaking on 6/01 if practice FLs are trending up

Clinical Hours: 5500 as MA and phlebotomist with lead MA and management experience

Non-clinical volunteering: 175 hours

Clinical volunteering: 50 hours (crisis intervention and Completed Life Initiative)

Shadowing: 12 hours

Research: 0, and I don’t see this changing as I work full time and have been out of college for 7 years and lack the experience required in my area to get hired as a research assistant even.
*One solo publication in Bioethics journal of a research paper during my MS program

Other: -I was selected to design and teach my own course in undergrad and I taught a course on mental disorders and mental health which required creating my own curriculum
-I was the President of the Health Committee during my Masters program

Last Cycle:
UCSD - waitlist
USC - secondary
CUSM - secondary
Colorado - secondary
Drexel - secondary
WVU - interview waitlist
Tulane - secondary
Rush - secondary
Wake Forest - secondary
Sidney Kimmel - secondary

Changes since last cycle:
-100+ more hours of non-clinical volunteering
-2000+ more hours of clinical work
-Took biochemistry (B+) and chemistry (A-)
-Completed Masters program

Members don't see this ad.

You should accumulate another 30 hours of in person physician shadowing . You are fine to reapply but include DO schools.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

I applied in the 2022 cycle, and then took last year off. Debating applying this cycle, not sure what I would do in the upcoming year to drastically improve my chances. Non-trad applicant with non-science major that did not take med school prerequisites in college but have been taking courses when I can. Worth reapplying this cycle?

California resident, ORM

uGPA:
3.75 - Political Science and Biological Anthropology (state school)
MSc GPA: 3.9 - Bioethics (Ivy League)

MCAT: 507 124/128/126/129, planning on retaking on 6/01 if practice FLs are trending up

Clinical Hours: 5500 as MA and phlebotomist with lead MA and management experience

Non-clinical volunteering: 175 hours

Clinical volunteering: 50 hours (crisis intervention and Completed Life Initiative)

Shadowing: 12 hours

Research: 0, and I don’t see this changing as I work full time and have been out of college for 7 years and lack the experience required in my area to get hired as a research assistant even.
*One solo publication in Bioethics journal of a research paper during my MS program

Other: -I was selected to design and teach my own course in undergrad and I taught a course on mental disorders and mental health which required creating my own curriculum
-I was the President of the Health Committee during my Masters program

Last Cycle:
UCSD - waitlist
USC - secondary
CUSM - secondary
Colorado - secondary
Drexel - secondary
WVU - interview waitlist
Tulane - secondary
Rush - secondary
Wake Forest - secondary
Sidney Kimmel - secondary

Changes since last cycle:
-100+ more hours of non-clinical volunteering
-2000+ more hours of clinical work
-Took biochemistry (B+) and chemistry (A-)
-Completed Masters program
How do you feel about your LORs? Your writing?

I think with MD and DO together you stand a decent shot. What is the nature of your non-clinical volunteering?

Reactions: 1 user