Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vergil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering about the approach I will take when I ask my professors for a recommendation letter. Since I have made A's in all my science courses and most of my non-science courses it seems straightforward, or is it?

Should I provide a transcript, CV and letter of intent when I make my request?

I will be applying in 2001.

I want to start requesting these letters before too much time passes after the completion of the class. Since I will have these letters "on file" until I send them to the the admissions comittees in about 2 years, should I keep them, sealed, in my posession?

I have read that asking "would you feel comfortable writing an ENTHUSIASTIC letter?" of one's professor is not out of line: What do you think?

I really the value the feedback that you have given so far and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Thank you,

Vergil

Members don't see this ad.

All of the things you heard are true about asking for letters early and asking if a prof can write a good letter.

Most profs would probably feel more comfortable keeping the letters on file in their own posession, or having a premedical committee at your school keep them on file. I don't think it is really common for students to keep the letters themselves, even if sealed.

Providing a personal cv to professors is helpful, giving them something more personal to write about.

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net http://www.medicalstudent.net

[This message has been edited by drhenderson (edited August 26, 1999).]