Residency cover letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivorymist

Don't take MAOIs with...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like every program that I'm considering needs a cover letter of sorts. Anyone has any idea on what kind of letter they're looking for? Just a generic "why I want to do a residency/why your program is right for me" kind of deal? What kind of format should it be in and how long should it be? I hope there are others on this board who are applying to a program too...

Also, if they request an optional photo, would it work against me if I don't include one?

Members don't see this ad.

If the residency has a specified format, by all means, do it that way! If not, this works....

Summary Format:

Dear (Director of Residencies):

Greetings:
Perfunctionary hellos if needed (I am applying....)

Personal:
My name is JR Ewing, and I will graduate from the University of Texas at Austin School of Pharmacy...(Describe qualifications)

Professional Goals
Along the lines of...
During my PDIV experience, I became interested in the provision of patient care. My training has provided me with theoretical and practical aspects of pharmacotherapy, but little practical experience in handling patients. I want to master my pharmacotherapy and learn how to apply my theoretical work in helping patients.

Learning Objectives
I believe that I am confident in the following skills...
I wish to learn the following skills....

Punchline (Thesis)
I believe that the Smith County DOH will help me acheive my professional learning goals with the expertise and experiences of this....
Faculty
Facility
Patient Population

Counterpunchline (Why I'm better than the rest)
I believe that I fit into you organization with my...
Knowledge of Patients
Comformity With the Organizational Objectives
An All Around Nice and Honorable Guy

Please contact me (Really important section, often left out).
Phone number
Set up a meeting at the school if desired.
Call me anywhere, anytime.
I hope to be in contact with you all.
Thank you for your time.

Warmest regards,
JR Ewing, Pharm.D. Candidate

-----
Other tips:
Be wary about the way you toss around words like "pharmaceutical care" and "clinical pharmacy." You may be asked about your choice in words, and these two terms, although sound alike, are different ideas.

Have a relationship with your preferred sites to make the match easier.

Hope this helps!

BTW, the photo thing is a state law in some areas for licensed professionals (checked against your photo at the board it seems). They cannot consider your application without it. You'd better have an explanation for not including it in your application, and your application won't be complete without it or that explanation.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow thanks for the tips!

Many applications already have questions that they ask such as what are your personal/professional goals, how does this program fit you, etc. Would it be redundant if I mentioned them again in my cover letter?

Also, would it be better if I wrote "Dear admissions committee of XYZ university hospital" instead of addressing the director's name? Also, should I sign the document? Sorry for all the questions...

I assumed that you've been through the whole process. You mind telling a bit about your experience? I would love to hear it.