ROCR Town Hall/Webinar Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard what happened to on table adaptive or has this been discussed at all? Im sorry if I missed it, there is a general lack of organized discussion on this bill. Not surprised, but still frustrating.

Reflexion just got a new CPT code, will that be excluded or is it now bundled?

If now bundled in, that seems like a very big development and a threat to the on-table adaptive space?
The actual text of the bill - no one got to see before it was already submitted - excludes ALL "new" technology for "10 years after it is first identified".

So, just, theoretically: if I were a grifter working as a theoretical CMO at a theoretical corporation called 22nd Century Oncology, I would argue that the new CPT code means adaptive was "identified" in 2024...

And is therefore exempt from the glorious ROCR until 2034.

Sorry, adaptive. OBVIOUSLY you desperately want to be included in ROCR, but you have to pay your dues. I know, I know - the 10 years feels like Christmas Eve! You just can't wait!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It's only bad leadership if you think about those not in leadership. Those in leadership with their protons, PPS-exempt status, etc. are going to do just fine!

Some PPs will like it because it will fix the site neutrality issue that is putting them at a competitive disadvantage compared to HOPPS locations. And, they can go to hypofrac without droping their revenues. Thus, if they can see more patients and treat more patients, they'll make more. I'm sure some PPs are bursting at the seams with their 44fx prostates/33fx breast patients (which they won't change b/c of FFS), even if most ar enot.
This is the actual answer.

Why would Connie Mantz author such a bill?

Why would Casey from Tennessee Oncology and Corso from SERO be the main champions we see out and about?

What do all three of them have in common?

As has been the case for the last 20 years, the extreme minority of private practice companies/groups are "playing the game" the best and crushing this entire specialty for the benefit of their own bank accounts.

Does Connie have a yacht yet?

Or did the FBI confiscate it in 2018?

Ok so, I've heard literally nothing about this since last summer's fake town hall.

Is there anything in there about coding? Is it still expected that there will now need to be two separate sets of codes per patient?

Also, does anyone know anything more about this rumor that some of the authors have a patent on coding software?

This all came up and seemed like kind of a big COI and a huge administrative mess, and no one has really said anything since.

Accreditation + extra coding... just what I thought my department needed, more non-clinical administrators.

Has anyone heard what happened to on table adaptive or has this been discussed at all? Im sorry if I missed it, there is a general lack of organized discussion on this bill. Not surprised, but still frustrating.

Reflexion just got a new CPT code, will that be excluded or is it now bundled?

If now bundled in, that seems like a very big development and a threat to the on-table adaptive space?
Any procedure that didn't have an existing category 1 CPT code can be billed FFS outside the model. No code for adaptive exists yet. Regarding the Reflexion PET codes, I don't know if those are category 1 CPT codes or not. I'm sure someone on this forum knows better than I do!

There is no code yet specific to online adaptive (but is being actively worked on, probably there will be in a couple years regardless of ROCR)

The bill states that new technology or services will not be incorporated into the national base rates for an included cancer type prior to 10 years after such service is first identified as a new technology or service. Until incorporation into the national base rates, new technology or services will be paid under the applicable payment system (fee-for-service).

It is in the (D) NEW TECHNOLOGY OR SERVICES section of the bill

Members don't see this ad :)
Any procedure that didn't have an existing category 1 CPT code can be billed FFS outside the model. No code for adaptive exists yet. Regarding the Reflexion PET codes, I don't know if those are category 1 CPT codes or not. I'm sure someone on this forum knows better than I do!

There is no code yet specific to online adaptive (but is being actively worked on, probably there will be in a couple years regardless of ROCR)

The bill states that new technology or services will not be incorporated into the national base rates for an included cancer type prior to 10 years after such service is first identified as a new technology or service. Until incorporation into the national base rates, new technology or services will be paid under the applicable payment system (fee-for-service).

It is in the (D) NEW TECHNOLOGY OR SERVICES section of the bill

Thank you! I can confirm I have also heard there are multiple active efforts to define an adaptive code.

Online adaptive radiotherapy isnt a unique service. It is IMRT delivery with on table re-planning. People are absolutely billing for that now through MPFS/HOPPS. They are not billing new codes as far as I know, or doing any significant discrete work that is unbilled, separate from the normal treatment planning process (as one would with Reflexion).This is why I am asking. Is this a new technology?

If I have a head and neck case and I replan 5 times off-table, thats ROCR, but if I do it on-table, thats not ROCR?

If I use AI for contouring/planning, is it now a new technology and I can bill the case outside of ROCR? It very much feels like a new technology when I use it.

Or maybe its just a vibe like protons and its just out because.

I understand the intent of wanting to protect innovation, yet another problem common in medicine. Its almost like MAYBE we should just join other fields and work together towards our common goals. Wild idea.

PS I love the idea that we would make a new code for a new technology with the old payment system years after implementation of the new payment system.

We are creating a beautiful tragedy.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! I can confirm I have also heard there are multiple active efforts to define an adaptive code.

Online adaptive radiotherapy isnt a unique service. It is IMRT delivery with on table re-planning. People are absolutely billing for that now through MPFS/HOPPS. They are not billing new codes as far as I know, or doing any significant discrete work that is unbilled, separate from the normal treatment planning process (as one would with Reflexion).This is why I am asking. Is this a new technology?

If I have a head and neck case and I replan 5 times off-table, thats ROCR, but if I do it on-table, thats not ROCR?

If I use AI for contouring/planning, is it now a new technology and I can bill the case outside of ROCR? It very much feels like a new technology when I use it.

Or maybe its just a vibe like protons and its just out because.

I understand the intent of wanting to protect innovation, yet another problem common in medicine. Its almost like MAYBE we should just join other fields and work together towards our common goals. Wild idea.

PS I love the idea that we would make a new code for a new technology with the old payment system years after implementation of the new payment system.

We are creating a beautiful tragedy.
I understand people are using existing treatment planning/dosimetry codes to bill for online adaptive planning. Just like you would for offline adaptive planning. Those codes would be put into the ROCR bundle per the proposal, so they would no longer get paid for offline or online adaptive UNTIL/IF a new adaptive code is created.

So in the short term I imagine this would hurt folks who are doing adaptive because they would not be paid extra for adaptive.

I understand people are using existing treatment planning/dosimetry codes to bill for online adaptive planning. Just like you would for offline adaptive planning. Those codes would be put into the ROCR bundle per the proposal, so they would no longer get paid for offline or online adaptive UNTIL/IF a new adaptive code is created.

So in the short term I imagine this would hurt folks who are doing adaptive because they would not be paid extra for adaptive.

Given the lack of any significant data showing a benefit to adaptive RT, should people be getting paid extra for it?

Reactions: 1 user
This is the actual answer.

Why would Connie Mantz author such a bill?

Why would Casey from Tennessee Oncology and Corso from SERO be the main champions we see out and about?

What do all three of them have in common?

As has been the case for the last 20 years, the extreme minority of private practice companies/groups are "playing the game" the best and crushing this entire specialty for the benefit of their own bank accounts.

Does Connie have a yacht yet?

Or did the FBI confiscate it in 2018?

One thing I will say is that I don't necessarily think the heads of big PPs are evil for wanting to have an equal playing field to hospitals (site neutrality). Hospitals have gotten paid more for doing the same services for a long time.

But PP groups support ROCR because of the site neutrality. Some of them have or staff proton facilities as well. I think SERO and Tn Onc? Not sur eif 21st century has a proton facility. So the COI are so obvious, and not EVER a discussion point. I would have much more grace if people were just honest about why they support x/y/z.

Given the lack of any significant data showing a benefit to adaptive RT, should people be getting paid extra for it?

I would say the amount of adaptive being done in an overall short time frame that has already shown some benefits in prospective data (MR-guided pancreas SBRT, one can argue MR-guided prostate SBRT) is far above what protons has proven over decades. So Agree w/ MG, if we're paying for protons, I see no reason to not pay for adaptive.

One thing I will say is that I don't necessarily think the heads of big PPs are evil for wanting to have an equal playing field to hospitals (site neutrality). Hospitals have gotten paid more for doing the same services for a long time.

But PP groups support ROCR because of the site neutrality. Some of them have or staff proton facilities as well. I think SERO and Tn Onc? Not sur eif 21st century has a proton facility. So the COI are so obvious, and not EVER a discussion point. I would have much more grace if people were just honest about why they support x/y/z.
I definitely agree.

I think, at minimum, our reimbursement should double, and our salaries should double. At minimum. I will die on this hill.

HOWEVER

The way ROCR in particular was drafted and handled, and how this legislation is being introduced and handled, etc, etc, etc - it's very shady. I think very few actual Radiation Oncologists would see any personal financial or lifestyle (production demands etc) benefit to ROCR.

I think it has the potential to help the revenue of GenesisCare, TN Oncology, and SERO (and Connie Mantz).

I think it has the potential to help the revenue of the 25-50 largest healthcare systems for various reasons.

I DO NOT, under ANY circumstance, see that financial benefit as trickling down to anyone working at those 25-50 systems.

I also see this as killing off what's left of smaller/non-consolidated practices and hospitals.

I could be totally wrong and ROCR could be amazing. But the duplicitous way this has all been handled makes me incredibly suspicious/nervous something else is going on, that benefits maybe 5% of us at the expense of the other 95%.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I definitely agree.

I think, at minimum, our reimbursement should double, and our salaries should double. At minimum. I will die on this hill.

HOWEVER

The way ROCR in particular was drafted and handled, and how this legislation is being introduced and handled, etc, etc, etc - it's very shady. I think very few actual Radiation Oncologists would see any personal financial or lifestyle (production demands etc) benefit to ROCR.

I think it has the potential to help the revenue of GenesisCare, TN Oncology, and SERO (and Connie Mantz).

I think it has the potential to help the revenue of the 25-50 largest healthcare systems for various reasons.

I DO NOT, under ANY circumstance, see that financial benefit as trickling down to anyone working at those 25-50 systems.

I also see this as killing off what's left of smaller/non-consolidated practices and hospitals.

I could be totally wrong and ROCR could be amazing. But the duplicitous way this has all been handled makes me incredibly suspicious/nervous something else is going on, that benefits maybe 5% of us at the expense of the other 95%.
C'mon human. ROCR is here to serve man.

• Haha
I would say the amount of adaptive being done in an overall short time frame that has already shown some benefits in prospective data (MR-guided pancreas SBRT, one can argue MR-guided prostate SBRT) is far above what protons has proven over decades. So Agree w/ MG, if we're paying for protons, I see no reason to not pay for adaptive.

Great point.

MR-guided pancreas SBRT is essentially a data free zone. All they have done is complete a single arm study that makes me very interested in a phase III randomized trial.

But, at least they aren't just pimping dosi studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great point.

MR-guided pancreas SBRT is essentially a data free zone. All they have done is complete a single arm study that makes me very interested in a phase III randomized trial.

But, at least they aren't just pimping dosi studies.
I think proving safety and efficacy in ph I/II studies for pancreas SBRT to high doses (not 33/5) was definitely warranted given the negative experiences from early pancreas SBRT. And despite @OTN saying he's doing 50/5 regularly with CT based imaging, I wouldn't be able to feel confident in that as a nationwide treatment recommendation.

I definitely agree.

HOWEVER

I recall hearing it would stabilize reimbursements against inflation. Do you know if that’s true? If so, wouldn’t that be something that benefits all?

I think proving safety and efficacy in ph I/II studies for pancreas SBRT to high doses (not 33/5) was definitely warranted given the negative experiences from early pancreas SBRT. And despite @OTN saying he's doing 50/5 regularly with CT based imaging, I wouldn't be able to feel confident in that as a nationwide treatment recommendation.
Hes doing 50/5?
I will sometimes do 40/5, but don't feel comfortable taking the PTV to higher than 33.

I trained somewhere with an MR linac, so maybe thats my bias towards not feeling comfortable w/escalating dose further with CT based non-adaptive treatment

Right. Super important data, and another really good point about treatment quality on that platform versus CT linac (for now!)

I just often see it creatively interpreted online.

It’s really sad the phase III trial died with VR. I was excited about it.

I recall hearing it would stabilize reimbursements against inflation. Do you know if that’s true? If so, wouldn’t that be something that benefits all?
When framed this way, you're making an "all else being equal" argument.

If you took the system we have today, in this moment, and stabilized reimbursements against inflation - then of course, all else being equal, ROCR would benefit everyone.

However, ROCR is about as far from "all else being equal" as it gets.

Because you can't forget the ground truth of the ROCR reimbursements, which is: a single, flat payment, regardless of complexity or any other factors, that, from the start, is calculated to cut payments to Radiation Oncology by $200 million dollars over 5 years.

Yes, I'm aware Connie then likes to do his little spin, whereby he just directly extends historical reimbursement trends to claim, absolutely magically, that this will actually be a $300 million dollar net positive for Radiation Oncology.

That's...that's not how money works.

That's literal magic beans.

Reactions: 5 users
And just to be really clear on where I'm coming from on this:

I 100% do NOT know the future either. I'm not ripping on ROCR just because it's something ASTRO did, and I'm not defending the current FFS system because I think it's amazing.

There are three things we know to be true:

1) The actual, word-for-word intent of ROCR is to cut Medicare reimbursement to Radiation Oncology by $212 million over 5 years

2) ASTRO/Connie justify ROCR as a good thing despite this $212 million dollar cut, because, based on historical trends, implementing ROCR would give Radiation Oncology a net positive ~$300 million dollars (through preventing additional cuts and being tied to inflation)

3) From 1999-2024, every 5-year prediction about the meta-issues in Radiation Oncology was wrong.

In 1999, they were reaching the nadir of contraction, fearing an absolute wasteland of oversupply for the foreseeable future. By 2002/2003, IMRT had exploded, and reversed the outlook of the field almost overnight.

In 2005, the gravy train was catalyzing massive residency expansion. By 2007/2008, other specialties - namely Urology - decided to get on board the train. We became mired in wonky battles against a much larger specialty that provides one of our most important disease referrals, and lost the war - UroRads still exists today. But our gravy train was being noticed.

In 2012, we had the New York Times calling us killers, and the government decided we were robbing America blind. The cuts and bundles started being discussed. The schism really started here, with some people warning the pendulum had swung too far and we needed to stop/reverse the supply line of new RadOncs, while other people wrote papers predicting a shortage of RadOncs, while other people wrote letters saying oversupply was good to keep salaries down.

And then we had the IMRT bundling of 2015/2016, the APM threat, the crash of the specialty, the pandemic, the death of APM, the post-pandemic job market bubble, and the surprise introduction of ROCR.

So why in the world would ANYONE believe "Mantz Math" when none of us really nailed the reality of today?

Obviously, I land on the "oversupply" side of future predictions, and have for years.

I still think that's the case, long-term.

However, in 2019 when I made the ESE account, I was technically wrong in the near-term. I had no way of knowing a pandemic would hit in 2020, initially causing hiring freezes and a terrible market, but then followed by a very high number of retirements/leaving clinical practice/lateral job moves etc, and creating the job bubble of the last ~2 years.

I'd rather stick with the devil I know, in FFS with the rest of medicine, than roll the dice on a completely novel law that removes us from Medicare and has cuts literally baked in.

If being taken out of Medicare and getting reimbursed in a unique/separate system is such a good idea, why has no specialty ever tried this before? Or even proposed it?

(no, dialysis and PAMPA are not actual examples lol)

Reactions: 6 users
And just to be really clear on where I'm coming from on this:

I 100% do NOT know the future either. I'm not ripping on ROCR just because it's something ASTRO did, and I'm not defending the current FFS system because I think it's amazing.

There are three things we know to be true:

1) The actual, word-for-word intent of ROCR is to cut Medicare reimbursement to Radiation Oncology by $212 million over 5 years

2) ASTRO/Connie justify ROCR as a good thing despite this $212 million dollar cut, because, based on historical trends, implementing ROCR would give Radiation Oncology a net positive ~$300 million dollars (through preventing additional cuts and being tied to inflation)

3) From 1999-2024, every 5-year prediction about the meta-issues in Radiation Oncology was wrong.

In 1999, they were reaching the nadir of contraction, fearing an absolute wasteland of oversupply for the foreseeable future. By 2002/2003, IMRT had exploded, and reversed the outlook of the field almost overnight.

In 2005, the gravy train was catalyzing massive residency expansion. By 2007/2008, other specialties - namely Urology - decided to get on board the train. We became mired in wonky battles against a much larger specialty that provides one of our most important disease referrals, and lost the war - UroRads still exists today. But our gravy train was being noticed.

In 2012, we had the New York Times calling us killers, and the government decided we were robbing America blind. The cuts and bundles started being discussed. The schism really started here, with some people warning the pendulum had swung too far and we needed to stop/reverse the supply line of new RadOncs, while other people wrote papers predicting a shortage of RadOncs, while other people wrote letters saying oversupply was good to keep salaries down.

And then we had the IMRT bundling of 2015/2016, the APM threat, the crash of the specialty, the pandemic, the death of APM, the post-pandemic job market bubble, and the surprise introduction of ROCR.

So why in the world would ANYONE believe "Mantz Math" when none of us really nailed the reality of today?

Obviously, I land on the "oversupply" side of future predictions, and have for years.

I still think that's the case, long-term.

However, in 2019 when I made the ESE account, I was technically wrong in the near-term. I had no way of knowing a pandemic would hit in 2020, initially causing hiring freezes and a terrible market, but then followed by a very high number of retirements/leaving clinical practice/lateral job moves etc, and creating the job bubble of the last ~2 years.

I'd rather stick with the devil I know, in FFS with the rest of medicine, than roll the dice on a completely novel law that removes us from Medicare and has cuts literally baked in.

If being taken out of Medicare and getting reimbursed in a unique/separate system is such a good idea, why has no specialty ever tried this before? Or even proposed it?

Does Mantz have a financial interest in ROCR. I thought he owns a patent/ billing soft ware solution that was used in Arizona when it was trialed with 21c?

Can you comment on why dialysis and PAMPA are not good examples?

You’re correct that it’s inflation adjusted, and not just that: when Medicare re-baselines every 5 years it’s banned from decreasing real reimbursement by more than 1%.

Can you comment on why dialysis and PAMPA are not good examples?
Sure -

PAMPA is the "talking point" if you ask ASTRO why they believe they have the political savvy/experience to pull something as wildly ambitious as ROCR off in the first place. "PAMPA" is the 2015 "Patient Access and Medicare Protection Act".

If you Google around, you'll find little blurbs in the healthcare news websites that say things such as "ASTRO successfully lobbied for passage of the Patient Access and Medicare Protection Act (PAMPA), which initiated CMMI’s work on an APM for radiation oncology".

Now, is it true that ASTRO was involved in lobbying in favor of PAMPA? Yes, of course.

But PAMPA was an absolutely massive cross-specialty, cross-organization effort. It was a serious piece of legislation that contained provisions for multiple aspects of American medicine.

From the AMA's blog post about it:

"Legislation adopted by Congress Friday will allow any physician who applies for a hardship exemption from the 2015 electronic health record (EHR) meaningful use program to be exempted from the penalties that would have been levied in 2017. This blanket exemption will alleviate burdensome administrative issues for both physicians and the agency...

The meaningful use provision in the new legislation, for which the AMA was instrumental in securing support, will grant CMS the authority to process requests for hardship exemptions to physicians through a streamlined process."

ROCR, by contrast, is a unilateral effort by just ASTRO, introduced as standalone legislation, that completely rewrites how Radiation Oncology exists in America in terms of Medicare reimbursement.

PAMPA, while important...all it did was freeze existing reimbursement levels. It didn't create anything new, let alone wildly and uniquely new, and it was not done as a solo vanity project.

Oh - and 21C/Liberty Partners were the key lobbyists for PAMPA, not ASTRO. Liberty Partners is currently who ACRO retains as a lobbying group, not ASTRO. Liberty Partners and ASTRO are not friends.

Unless, when we say "ASTRO", we really mean "Connie Mantz", in which case...we can say ASTRO was crucial for PAMPA lobbying, because Connie was the CMO of 21C during the PAMPA years.

I say that because this is all a matter of public record, after Andrew Woods, chair of Liberty Partners, sued 21C for $9 million dollars in backpay they owed him for, among other things, getting PAMPA passed.

1716668476271.png

Obviously, we can debate whether or not Woods deserves ALL the credit for PAMPA (I've read the court documents - 21C definitely owes him his money, and he's probably...at least 85% the reason PAMPA passed), but I don't think one guy can claim ALL of the credit.

The dialysis (ESRD) thing...hoo boy.

So, again - that was not standalone legislation pursued unilaterally by a small professional society. The bill was "HR 6331 Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act of 2008".

For starters, the way this thing became law is almost unheard of, and given the modern political atmosphere, will likely never happen again.

From an article written in 2008:

"July 15, 2008 -- The House and Senate voted Tuesday to override President Bush's veto of a bill blocking a big cut in Medicare payments to physicians.

The bill (HR 6331) now becomes law. Bush had vetoed it just before noon on Tuesday.

A few hours later, the House voted 383–41 to override the veto.
The vote comfortably surpassed the two-thirds majority required, and the override produced almost 30 votes more than the 355–59 tally by which the House passed the bill June 24.

The Senate later voted 70–26 to override Bush. It had passed the bill by voice vote July 9 after voting 69–30 to overcome a procedural hurdle.

Tuesday's action represents the fourth veto override of Bush's presidency. Congress enacted a water resources bill (PL 110-114) over the president's wishes, and overrode him twice on the farm bill because of a procedural glitch (PL 110-246, PL 110-234)."

So a sitting president vetoed the bill, and then BOTH the House and the Senate overrode the presidential veto.

Obviously that's procedural/wonky and can be argued to be tangentially related to ROCR, but when ASTRO first whipped out this talking point about dialysis and I started reading about it...that was, uh, notable.

But what even is it? This is hard to easily find articles about, because it's now deeply tied up in a 2012 change that pegs payments to quality. But how it's talked about today:

"The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Quality Incentive Program (QIP) is designed to encourage the delivery of high-quality services in dialysis facilities. The ESRD QIP is one of several pay-for-performance or “value-based purchasing” initiatives that CMS has undertaken to transform the healthcare payment system to one that considers the quality of services provided to beneficiaries, not just the quantity of services provided.

Each dialysis facility must post a Performance Score Certificate that documents the facility’s performance on the ESRD QIP including their Total Performance Score, scores on individual measures, and comparisons to the national average. Facilities must display their Performance Score Certificate within five business days of receiving notice from CMS that the certificate is available. The certificate must be posted for the entire year (January 1-December 31) in an area where it is easily visible to beneficiaries and their families or caregivers. These certificates must be updated and posted annually."

Here's an abstract from a review article also talking about the 2012 update to the legislation, which is relevant, because no one should believe ROCR, as it is written, is set in stone, even if it were to become law:

"The ESRD Quality Incentive Program (QIP) is the first mandatory federal pay for performance program launched on January 1, 2012. The QIP is tied to the ESRD prospective payment system and mandated by the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act of 2008, which directed the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to expand the payment bundle for renal dialysis services and legislated that payment be tied to quality measures. The QIP links 2% of the payment that a dialysis facility receives for Medicare patients on dialysis to the facility's performance on quality of care measures. Quality measures are evaluated annually for inclusion on the basis of importance, validity, and performance gap. Other quality assessment programs overlap with the QIP; all have substantial effects on provision of care as clinicians, patients, regulators, and dialysis organizations scramble to keep up with the frequent release of wide-ranging regulations."

Now, at least compared to PAMPA, I think the ESRD talking point is indeed somewhat relevant to ROCR - other than it was just a part of an overall huge bill that took herculean efforts to pass.

It provides a case-based payment for dialysis from Medicare.

My biggest concern with holding ESRD up as the ROCR analogy is the fact that dialysis is only a single treatment/modality within the bigger specialty of Nephrology. Yes, dialysis DEFINITELY is the most lucrative aspect of Nephrology.

But ROCR proposes a mandatory reshaping of all of Radiation Oncology, everywhere, save for the notorious exemptions like protons.

Further, the ESRD program does not exist completely outside of Medicare/CMS, it is still inside the "regular" system.

ROCR creates a brand new, separate system for just Radiation Oncology - ALL of Radiation Oncology - so the similarities with ESRD begins and ends with "case-based payments".

Worst of all, these two things, PAMPA and ESRD, are the ONLY talking points around the concepts of "precedence" ASTRO has.

It's like me saying I'm going to enter and win the Daytona 500, because I've visited Florida, and I've driven a car.