Not open for further replies.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated from UC Davis in June 2019 and I don't really have a plan for my future. I'min my gap year (years?) and I'm really worried that I'm not doing anything because I don't know if I should pursue a career as a PharmD or an MD and I don't know what experiences I should have and what looks good on the applications.

I don't know if I have what it takes to become an MD and I don't even know if PharmD is right for me or I'm picking it for the wrong reasons (because I think I can't get into Med school but still want to be a doctor/in the health profession).

How can I narrow it down? I currently got a job offer as a manufacturing technician but the job isn't research related much. I am very confused and in a very bad position because I don't have a purpose and I don't know how to address anything. I'd appreciate any type of guidance and enlightenment.

Rule of thumb: Never run to a profession blindly without due diligence.

Some key factors are missing though:

1) What is your sGPA and cGPA?
2) Did you do any research in undergrad?
3) Have you shadowed "any" Health professional and if so what type and for how long?
4) Have you studied for or at least looked into the MCAT or PCAT guidelines for each field?

As for the PharmD, I would give it a hard no simply because you would be blindly running to it and risking decades of work into something you may or may not like. If the MD/DO route is on your radar, then I'd ask what it is you feel your are lacking (ie GPA, service, shadowing, research, etc.)

My "loose" suggestion other than GPA remediation (if you feel you need it) is to get healthcare experience by being a phlebotomist, medical scribe, working as an EMT, etc. While doing this, shadow a physician, a pharmacist, a respiratory therapist, a physician assistant, a nurse practitioner, a physical therapist, anything that is tied to the health-field. Once you've established these parameters, then make your move in preparation of pre-reqs and/or test assessments you'll need as an applicant.

It's better spending a year or two after school establishing what you really want than running towards a field you may end up failing / regretting years down the road.

Members don't see this ad.

1) my cGPA is 3.33 and sGPA is 3.2 and I know that is low which is why I think I can't make it
2) I've done research as an undergrad for a year
3)I've done a couple of health related internships at hospitals each for 3 months
4) I have looked at MCAT but have not studied for it. I'm applying to schools in California and the PCAT is not even reviewed for the schools I'm interested in.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Without an MCAT, it's too difficult to render an assessment for MD. Your grades are too low though without reinvention. I'd recommend you get some work hours as a pharmacy tech or volunteer in the hospital to figure out if it is right for you. FWIW, pharmacy has a labor oversupply that is not going to get any better for the foreseeable future. Medicine is increasingly more competitive both into school and into residency.

And you will not be considered at UCSF or UCSD with those scores for Pharmacy.

1) my cGPA is 3.33 and sGPA is 3.2 and I know that is low which is why I think I can't make it
2) I've done research as an undergrad for a year
3)I've done a couple of health related internships at hospitals each for 3 months
4) I have looked at MCAT but have not studied for it. I'm applying to schools in California and the PCAT is not even reviewed for the schools I'm interested in.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Actually, your lack of a definite career plan is preventing you from moving forward. You need experience in a health care environment to make a choice. I'd say try being a pharmacy tech or a medical assistant, or at least talk to some. Why did they pick their careers?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

At the very least, do some networking and googling - even if it's just on here until you find something to do (pharm tech/MA/etc) - and figure out to the best of your ability what the day-to-day is like.

If you're really unsure, but you enjoy something in medicine, think about PA or nursing.

I urge you however to leave the notion of "if I can't get into medical school, but still want to be a doctor" behind. This is going to direct you down a path that is not good for you. It's just a bad mentality to have IMO. The other fields are just fine, but not for someone who wants something different or goes into something with the wrong expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.