Should I Reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hn_23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start (sorry if this is in the wrong forum) but I have been accepted into WVSOM, waitlisted at CCOM and denied at MSUCOM after put on the Tier 1 waitlist. I’m extremely upset because MSUCOM was my top choice and being placed on the T1 waitlist gave me so much hope (I was willing to go even if they offered me acceptance the day before—it’s my TOP choice) until they stopped movement the earlier than normal this cycle (I’m assuming they over-accepted)

That being said, I am very uneasy about giving up on MSUCOM or CCOM and going to WVSOM and it is far from my hometown/family and this is the first time I’d ever be living on my own. Also, the town that it is in is far too rural for me and I am freaking out a little at the limited housing options as I held off on finding a place to live as I waited to hear back from MSUCOM.

After an intense freak out last night, I’ve been toying with the idea of reapplying. Please let me know if this is the dumbest idea ever since I already have an acceptance. I have the idea in my head that this past cycle was more competitive than normal because of the increased applicants due to COVID that if I was waitlisted at both schools previously, I might have a chance this cycle and I’d end up being closer to come with more time before going to travel before med school (since y’know last year — COVID).

I wouldn’t be changing much with my application (no grad school or new MCAT — my sGPA is 3.4 upward trend with 505 MCAT) so not sure if reapplying like that is kind of a death sentence for my future career. Sorry this is so long and if anyone has insight I would be eternally grateful as I am a chronic over-thinker with a ton of anxiety about this.

Members don't see this ad.

You have an acceptance in your hand...tomorrow is not a promised that you will have the same choice. Take the chance and run with it.

Reactions: 3 users
no, take the acceptance. It's also a public DO school and there aren't too many of those out there.
also a lesson for people to not apply anywhere they wouldn't be comfortable going.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats weren’t competitive for MSU or ccom back when I applied and I just graduated. Reapplying will likely accomplish nothing. Not to put you down but you need a reality check. Your stats aren’t bad, but they’re not amazing either. You’re a mediocre candidate. You got into a good school that just happens to be in an undesirable area.

Even if you do get in somewhere else, you’re giving up at least $200k in lifetime earnings by delaying a year.

It’s a small town, but it’s only two years and then the next two years you’ll be able to live in much bigger areas. A broke medical student doesn’t have the time or money to enjoy a big city too much anyway during the first two years tbh.

Take the acceptance and run.

Reactions: 5 users
MSUCOM’s incoming class average is 508/3.65 per admissions staff. It’s likely to get more competitive with MSU’s new contracts with the DMC and Henry Ford, and more seats will be taken by MSU’s medical scholars respectively. OP, if I were you, I’d take the acceptance. You applied to WVCOM with the intent of being accepted, and even though it’s far away, consider it a hard but necessary life experience to further your career. You will be a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said, take the A and run.

First off you're not doing anything amazing to improve your app for the reapply. This is crazy to even fathom reapplying to schools that rejected you (even after being on the waitlist) without improving your application drastically. Most schools ask if you have applied before and if you had, what you have done to improve your app. You wont have an answer for this and would be a major red flag for me. Plus you are giving up a year of your life on the "chance" that you wont be waitlisted and rejected again.

Reactions: 1 users
also, consider that 1 more year of applications comes at a 200-400k loss of future salary as an attending.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.