Dental Should I tell schools about the "real" reason why I didn't go into medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize in advance about how long this is -- I tried to condense it as much as I could.

Allow me to start in the beginning. I am an international student and have always wanted to be a doctor. My dream was to go to medical school in the US, but after some research, I learned how difficult (nearly impossible) it is for international students to be accepted into US medical schools. I can't even apply to most schools, and the schools I am allowed to apply to are highly selective. If my only chance to get into med school is to get into one of those institutions, I knew my chances are slim. So I started looking elsewhere. That's when I found dental. I did a lot of shadowing and volunteer work, and I have 100% fallen in love with this profession. I worked very hard in college and have a high GPA and DAT score. I interviewed at 8 dental schools and never ever touched on the "real" reason why I considered dental in the first place. I felt like they would reject me if I tell them the truth. I was worried that they might think the only reason why I am applying to dental schools is that I CANNOT apply to medical schools. If I was an American citizen, I wouldn't ever had the chance to consider dental (which now, I feel like I would be missing out). Fast forward to now, I already got accepted into multiple dental schools -- so that is not why I'm here.

Why am I asking this question now, you ask?

I got my interview with a top school this January. This is my dream school because of their emphasis on practicing dental medicine as a sub-specialty of medicine instead of a separate entity. To me, this is 100% my "doctor dream" with a cherry on top because I love both dentistry and medicine. During their interviews, they often ask (according to SDN) what got the applicant interested in dental. Would it be okay to tell them my story this time, since they consider dental medicine as a part of medicine?

In their supplemental questionnaire, one question is: "Is there anything significant about your personal background or identity not addressed elsewhere in your application that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in dental medicine." I think here, I could include my story about not being able to apply to medical school, but I don't know if that is a good idea. What do you think?

Would it just be better to leave the question blank?

I thought for a long time for something else to put for this question, and I also thought about writing about my personal struggles with TMJ and how that relates to the frustration of having dental medicine as a separate entity from medicine. Would that be a better thing to put?

I can write about my TMJ in the supplemental, but ultimately, I feel like they will ask me a question pertaining to why I didn't go to med school. Then, I would be faced with the same issue.

So, I decided to turn to you for help.

Thank you for reading all of that. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for your confession, and good luck with your interview. I think there are different ways to spin what you are saying, but for your circumstances, it's valuable to realize oral health is systemic health. A lot of things can wrong in the body because pathogens access the bloodstream through the oral cavity. Presumably you should be able to cite examples of work you aspire to do based on your shadowing experiences and what your dentist-mentors/references have told you about the field. I think you can say you recognize the barriers to your becoming a health care provider in the US, but that interprofessional health care will make it possible for you to work with expert physicians. Why you pick (school), is to witness such interactions in action. Ivy schools usually teach basic science coursework combining medical and dental students, so it's not like you will be worse off in your basic science education. However, you will be doing more things that dentists do generally early (as far as I know, and as much as compared to what clerking is about in medical school). I would be brief and honest to mention that you know that your international status severely limits you from pursuing medical education, but dentistry offers an opportunity to make an impact the way you want to as a health care provider (practice this answer and get feedback from your dentist-references!).

Most dental schools are aware they are more open to international students than medical schools are. That's the nature of dental versus medical education. The one big advantage is that dental education is by design meant to be more focused than systemic medicine, plus you will get insight into radiology and business, which is something sorely lacking in medical education. I think for the prompt for additional information related to how you contribute to the diversity of the student body and the school, I would focus more on how medicine and dentistry are practiced and accessed at your home country that is not already obvious from simple demographics. What insights you have would be very valuable, and what you seek is more of the "medical impact" of dentistry in your career.

Again, dentistry is known to have a better career satisfaction rating (if you believe such surveys). It's not an easier life in the beginning, but you have more flexibility in determining how you wish to work compared to hospital-based physicians.

Besides, if you do really well in dental school, you can always see if you would fit a career as an oral surgeon and get your MD through a residency that way.

(My two cents)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your careful response. It was immensely helpful. I think I know what I will talk about for that question now.

And also, I didn't know to what extent dental schools are aware of the fact that they are more accepting to international students than medical schools -- so thank you for letting me know.

Again, thank you for your time.

I think many dental schools are aware. Look at who they have in their residency programs; many internationally-trained dentists are in those residencies. Also, many schools (not all) have international dentist training programs. As it stands, dentistry in the US accommodates that pathway, and there is not really a similar path as far as I know for medicine.

Now, how international students are supported and treated by school administrators... that may be worth your questions. How easy it is to get visa support? Are you eligible for some scholarship awards available after you matriculate? How does your school or university handle health coverage and insurance?

Good luck on your interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.