SpaceOAR - Augmenix, Boston Scientific, and Conflicts of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not particular to BioProtect, but interesting that acute Grade 3 toxicity (~2-3%) more common in this series for balloon vs gel spacing.
Had to look up what it actually is... I thought balloons weren't new to the specialty but that's what this looks like it is?

Members don't see this ad.

Had to look up what it actually is... I thought balloons weren't new to the specialty but that's what this looks like it is?

It seems like it's a balloon shoved into the area where a spaceOAR normally sits. So not an intrarectal balloon (which is old school and laughably unnecessary), but a balloon shoved through the perineum into the space where a gel normally would go. I presume once the balloon is placed, it is inflated? I'm shocked that the people interviewed about how wonderful this is do not feel any need to explain exactly what the hell is going on during a procedure like this.

Well, not really shocked. Because 'We're going to shove a balloon into your taint' doesn't have the greatest ring to it...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

The acute spacer toxicity study actually was in reference to a BioProtect product. So this product has been available other places for a long time.