Summer internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3wildchild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does this work? Once a person is accepted into a Pharmacy school can they apply to be an intern? If so, will anybody hire an intern who hasn't started pharmacy school yet? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the state. Here in MI, anyone who is accepted to pharm school can apply for their "educational license" and be an intern. Rite-Aid and Wallgreens love interns because it usually doesn't come out of the store's budget (it comes from corporate). Yes, they will hire you if they need anyone (well, here at least) and they seem to pay about 11/hour for first year interns. It goes up every year and stops at about 18/hour after year 4 until you get your real license, in which case it goes to about 42/hour (lately and around here). I'm sure that it's very different for every state because I know that CA pays WAY more and in IL, I need to go get a "tech license" before I can even do any experiential work in a pharmacy while I'm IN PHARMACY SCHOOL. It's weird, and I'll let you know what they pay there as soon as I can find out.

Jd

3wildchild: What pharm school will you be attending? It's really different from state to state. For example, the process for applying for California intern license involved a ~$65 app fee, a signature from the dean's office stating that you are a registered student in a PharmD. program (there's a box on the first page of the app for this), a ~$65-70 fingerprinting fee, and a current photo. I also sent a letter from the dean's office on official college letterhead. Therefore, you probably need to be a currently enrolled pharm student to apply in CA. Nevada, on the other hand, was $15 fee and a one page app, no fingerprinting, no photo...rediculously easy, I don't remember having to have the dean's sig on the app.