Summer job in psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lille My

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 5 th year med student in Norway. Over here we get a temporary physician's lisence after 4,5 (out of 6) years of med school. So, this summer I have gotten a job as a "temp" resident in an acute psych. ward. While I look forward to this challenge the prospect of being the one to make significant decisions about a patient's care in such a setting, is somewhat frightening. Does anybody have any advice to offer ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I don't know what level of responsibility you will have since your education system is slightly different than our but I suspect you will be like an intern/sub-intern at least. My experience (which is also limited to a 4th year sub-i at a VA hospital and a month long PGY1 rotation on an acute inpatient ward) was that while you met with the patients individually each day, the treatment plan was throughly discussed in rounds with more experience clinicians. It was incredibly interesting and you are often able to take on as much responsibility as you want - but your still under supervision so its not like your just thrown in there making treatment decisions on your own. Hope you enjoy yourself. Let us know more of what you do and what Norway's mental health system is like. I'd be really interested.

Hils

M-