Time away from Sub-I for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starbuxian

PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe my school has a policy of no more that 1-2 absences for sub-Is. So my questions are:
  • What if I need to travel to >1 in-person interviews?
  • For virtual ones, rather than take a day off is it ok to ask permission for a few hours and do the interviews at the sub-I location? I would need to find a quiet place obviously
  • Is it ok to do the interviews in scrubs? How would this be perceived?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

there are no in-person interviews this season... what am i missing?

There are a few programs asking for in-person interviews. I received an II from one seem to recall at least a couple when I was looking into programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe my school has a policy of no more that 1-2 absences for sub-Is. So my questions are:
  • What if I need to travel to >1 in-person interviews?
  • For virtual ones, rather than take a day off is it ok to ask permission for a few hours and do the interviews at the sub-I location? I would need to find a quiet place obviously
  • Is it ok to do the interviews in scrubs? How would this be perceived?
Thank you.
Ultimately you're asking questions that are specific to your school, so while we can make something up about what we think their policy will be, eventually you're going to need to ask your school.

I suspect:
  • You can't. Schedule your interviews for different months. Or re-schedule your sub-I outside of interview season.
  • Probably not. But you can ask.
  • Do not interview in scrubs. Full stop.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if it's against the rules or any such rule exists. My understanding is that there is a recommendation that they be virtual but not a mandate. I think programs schedule in-person or remote at their discretion.

wow.... isnt that against the rules? this is insane.
what specialty is that?
I agree, it is probably not against the rules. It is certainly more inconvenient and cost-intensive, but it probably helps both programs and applicants get a better impression of each other. I do think eventually interviews should go back to primarily in-person.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user