training licensure question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimist99

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a newly matched M4 with a question about licensure. My residency will be in a different state than my home training, so I am applying for a training license there. But if I know that I intend to return to my home state after residency, do I need to apply for a training license in my home state now as well, or do I just wait until someday I have a job and am moving back?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a newly matched M4 with a question about licensure. My residency will be in a different state than my home training, so I am applying for a training license there. But if I know that I intend to return to my home state after residency, do I need to apply for a training license in my home state now as well, or do I just wait until someday I have a job and am moving back?
Thank you!
Wait until someday :)

Thank you!
Unless your training program also has clinical rotations in your home state, you don't need a license of any sort there.

Each state has their own requirements for unrestricted medical license. They require between 1-3 years of post graduate training to be eligible. Your training license is not your unrestricted medical license. You get that later either while in residency or after.

Thank you!

No. A training license is purely for residency and you're only eligible for one if you're sponsored by a residency. Once you finish 1-2 years of residency training and pass Step 3, you will apply for a full license and never need to use a training license again. The only time you'd need to apply for two training licenses is if you're 1.) doing a prelim/advanced set up in different states 2.) Have not finished Step 3 but the end of intern year 3.) the state you've moving to for advanced training requires two years of PGY credit before granting a full license. Also, I have not completed the process but I hear once you're licensed (full license) in one state, the dominoes fall if you're looking to license in other states as I imagine some of the initial paperwork is common.

Last edited:
No. A training license is purely for residency and you're only eligible for one if you're sponsored by a residency. Once you finish get 1-2 years of residency training and pass Step 3, you will apply for a full license and never need to use a training license again. Also, I have not completed the process but I hear once you're licensed (full license) in one state, the dominoes fall if you're looking to license in other states as I imagine some of the initial paperwork is common.
Reciprocity is generally followed, but that doesn't mean the paperwork is any more streamlined. Speaking as someone who has held permanent licenses in 3 states now.

Reactions: 1 user
Reciprocity is generally followed, but that doesn't mean the paperwork is any more streamlined. Speaking as someone who has held permanent licenses in 3 states now.
Only 20-something states have joined the interstate licensure compact unfortunately. For the rest, it's a huge PITA to get an additional license after you've gotten some already...