UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas) 2023-2024 *In-Person*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone applied in February and is still waiting for a decision?
What is your status online? Call admissions on Monday and they can see whats going on with your file

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, I forgot to update that I got the A!! Ngl I’m just rlly nervous abt doing well, I don’t know what to expect at all. Any advice if familiar with cohort?? How do you even study for this program? Also good luck to everyone that applied wishing you all the very best, you got it!!!
I just finished this program a few days ago. I totally get how anxious you are to start. I did this program to improve my GPA, so my advice will be biased towards this goal. At orientation, you're going to hear a lot of noise about what people did to study, some will swear by Anki others will swear by practice questions. You'll hear from the orientation leads and admin which classes they think are the most difficult, don't be overwhelmed and know that just because someone else said it, doesn't make it true for you. That being said, my review of the program is as follows:
  1. The fall was more difficult than the spring, I don't know if it's the adjustment, or the rather abstract content in the fall, or what.
  2. For me, Anki was not a one-stop-shop for studying. Useful at times, I used it for Histology and did well, but not much else. I did not have a strong science background, and struggled gleaming the big picture, so focusing on rote memorization of small details through Anki was exceedingly difficult. If you have a solid science background, you might find it effective.
  3. I did not go to in person lecture. Also, the recorded lectures are your #1 biggest resource for studying. The professors do not want you to fail, they all do it in their own ways, but they will emphasize about 95% of what ends up on the quizzes and exams. I would watch a lecture 2-3x on 2x speed. I would use good notes to make digital flashcards of things that were super impt, easy to forget, etc. not to exceed 60 new cards per lecture. Your goal should be to condense the content as much as possible.
  4. If something is not in the lecture, it CANNOT be the correct answer on the exam. I learned this the hard way, but sometimes a question is phrased oddly, or the answer didn't totally make sense, and there was another random answer I didn't recognize but assumed it could be true.
  5. Generally, an equal amount of questions are pulled from each lecture for the exam, usually 4. So do not spend all your time on 1 long and difficult lecture at the expense of the other ones. They are making changes to the fall classes so this may not be true for you guys, but this was very noticeable for the first mol. cell exam.
  6. Something I wish I knew a year ago is a site called lucid chart, it's a paid subscription (like $8 a month) to make these rather sophisticated diagrams. Being able to put the concepts from all the lectures and connect them is such a good study technique. You could draw them out, but this was a quicker way to do it.
  7. I don't want to put my exact GPA out there because you're goal GPA may fall above or below it, and you shouldn't compare. But for reference on how to take my studying advice, I ended up with somewhere between a 3.7-3.9. So I felt I did solid, but had some room for improvement. But everyone has a different personal best.
  8. The school has amazing tutors, use them!
The year is going to fly by, especially if you are applying to med/dental school this cycle. Have fun when you can, and make some friends while you're here! Best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished this program a few days ago. I totally get how anxious you are to start. I did this program to improve my GPA, so my advice will be biased towards this goal. At orientation, you're going to hear a lot of noise about what people did to study, some will swear by Anki others will swear by practice questions. You'll hear from the orientation leads and admin which classes they think are the most difficult, don't be overwhelmed and know that just because someone else said it, doesn't make it true for you. That being said, my review of the program is as follows:
  1. The fall was more difficult than the spring, I don't know if it's the adjustment, or the rather abstract content in the fall, or what.
  2. For me, Anki was not a one-stop-shop for studying. Useful at times, I used it for Histology and did well, but not much else. I did not have a strong science background, and struggled gleaming the big picture, so focusing on rote memorization of small details through Anki was exceedingly difficult. If you have a solid science background, you might find it effective.
  3. I did not go to in person lecture. Also, the recorded lectures are your #1 biggest resource for studying. The professors do not want you to fail, they all do it in their own ways, but they will emphasize about 95% of what ends up on the quizzes and exams. I would watch a lecture 2-3x on 2x speed. I would use good notes to make digital flashcards of things that were super impt, easy to forget, etc. not to exceed 60 new cards per lecture. Your goal should be to condense the content as much as possible.
  4. If something is not in the lecture, it CANNOT be the correct answer on the exam. I learned this the hard way, but sometimes a question is phrased oddly, or the answer didn't totally make sense, and there was another random answer I didn't recognize but assumed it could be true.
  5. Generally, an equal amount of questions are pulled from each lecture for the exam, usually 4. So do not spend all your time on 1 long and difficult lecture at the expense of the other ones. They are making changes to the fall classes so this may not be true for you guys, but this was very noticeable for the first mol. cell exam.
  6. Something I wish I knew a year ago is a site called lucid chart, it's a paid subscription (like $8 a month) to make these rather sophisticated diagrams. Being able to put the concepts from all the lectures and connect them is such a good study technique. You could draw them out, but this was a quicker way to do it.
  7. I don't want to put my exact GPA out there because you're goal GPA may fall above or below it, and you shouldn't compare. But for reference on how to take my studying advice, I ended up with somewhere between a 3.7-3.9. So I felt I did solid, but had some room for improvement. But everyone has a different personal best.
The year is going to fly by, especially if you are applying to med/dental school this cycle. Have fun when you can, and make some friends while you're here! Best of luck!

This was so helpful. THANK YOU.

Thank you so much!!!

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if I could get some advice from those of you who've submitted and been accepted regarding your supplemental essay questions. I'm applying for the online MS program and wondered how y'all structured your responses? Were they lengthy? Was there anything you focused on or specifically avoided touching on? Any help or advice appreciated!

Has anybody heard anything about when financial aid comes in?
I got an email today saying they are still processing award info for 2024-2025 and that they typically send out awards in mid-May. They should send out emails once everything is processed.

Reactions: 2 users
I spoke with Autumn yesterday and the committee meets tomorrow (Friday) so some more of us will be hearing back next week, for those of us who are still waiting

Reactions: 1 user
Just got denied, but luckily Baylor and Texas Tech El Paso accepted me! Guess God had other plans I just wanted to stay in DFW. Good luck to everyone else! I will share my stats for future applicants this week

Reactions: 2 users