(UPEI) AVC vs. UMN (vs. UAF/CSU vs Illinois)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ardently.cowenby

Reaction score
Hi, I was pretty certain I was only going to get into AVC however I just accepted into UMN as well! I am specifically interested in large animal/rural mixed animal or potentially going into pathology. I was told by my interviewers at UMN that a mixed/large animal track would set me up well for a patho residency if that I decide to go down that route. However, I have read that UMN has a relatively small ruminant caseload which is unfortunate because ruminants are a significant portion of what I want to do. Any advice would be deeply appreciated! I visited upei and know many alumni and it sounds like a great program and a great fit for me however it would be easier to some extent to go to a school that is in the US especially with the housing crisis on the island right now! I was also waitlisted for UAF/CSU and any input about that program would be deeply appreciated as there is limited information online. Any information about the programs and amount of large animal experience (besides equine) available would be great.

Edit: I was just accepted into Illinois as well and thus far they have sent no information in regards to admitted student visit days so any information about the opportunities for large animal and patho experience there would be appreciated. At this point I can only afford to visit one other school so I have to pick between visiting UMN and illinois

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your acceptances! Have you been able to visit UMN? I think in this case it may give you more of the clarity you want. And may be worth the money spend for the trip. Good Luck with this great choice.

Congratulations on your acceptances! Have you been able to visit UMN? I think in this case it may give you more of the clarity you want. And may be worth the money spend for the trip. Good Luck with this great choice.
I have not visited UMN yet however it is on my to do list. Unfortunately I am unable to attend their admitted students event. I am doubtful that they would flat out tell me if they don't see a lot of ruminants though. I am essentially just looking for feedback from alumni of UMN since i know many alumni from UPEI but none from UMN

I have not visited UMN yet however it is on my to do list. Unfortunately I am unable to attend their admitted students event. I am doubtful that they would flat out tell me if they don't see a lot of ruminants though. I am essentially just looking for feedback from alumni of UMN since i know many alumni from UPEI but none from UMN
The caseload that we see at the VMC is on the light side for large ruminants in particular - many of our large animal patients are equine.
That being said, the large animal rotations include time at the New Sweden Dairy (among other options), which has >4000 head of cattle and the rotation is supposed to be great - I'm a small animal person so won't be experiencing that one, but it has a lot of positive reviews. You can get a decent amount of large animal time during the 4 years here, but with us being in a major metro, the on-campus ruminant caseload is probably smaller than some of the schools that are located in less urban areas.

Reactions: 1 user