UVM vs. Tulane vs. Tufts Maine Track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildernessmedstudent

Reaction score
EDIT: Chose Tufts Maine Track to be closer to support system, global health opportunities, and Maine track program! Extremely difficult decision though and I was honestly very sad to turn down Tulane!

Just got off the waitlist at UVM and Tufts Maine Track and trying to quickly decide between these three! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

UVM
Pros:
much closer to home
nature/skiing is easily accessible which i love
global health program is great
considering rural medicine and this is much more rural
good clinical rotation program
earlier clinicals

Cons:
high COL in burlington
not diverse
lived in new england my whole life and this is more of the same
no clear MD/MPH possibility

Tulane
Pros:
Cool city
diverse patient population
would also get my MPH in disaster management
unique culture & food
cheap COL
good reputation nationally
it would be an adventure
student run clinics

Cons:
expensive school
far from family/friends - SO moving with me, but other than that don't know anyone down there
global health may be harder to do with MPH
very hot and there are hurricanes lol

Tufts Maine Track
Pros:
Maine track rural program - want to do rural med
Boston for 1 year - fun city and already live here
curriculum is great
i would make connections for future residencies and attending positions in Maine - want to move to Maine long-term eventually
global health summer opportunities
also much closer to home

Cons:
lived in new england my whole life so more of the same
not diverse
earlier start so would have to make decisions and find a place to live quicker

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, congratulations on your acceptances! I would point out that rural communities tend to sacrifice some of that diversity and the New England you are looking to settle in long-term won't be seeing much demographic diversity change anytime soon. You mentioned that you would appreciate a MPH, which UVM does not have, but Tufts does happen to have a 4-year MD/MPH program. And Tufts-Maine seems specifically designed towards your desire for a rural medicine pathway.
If you were deciding based purely off of a good rural medicine program and future pathway, then it's Tufts-Maine or UVM, in that order.
I do respect your desire for a change of scenery, and if you think it would help you grow as a doctor and wouldn't affect your SO's circumstances too much, then by all means go to Tulane. It is only 4 years of your life and you can always move back to New England.

Reactions: 1 users
First off, congratulations on your acceptances! I would point out that rural communities tend to sacrifice some of that diversity and the New England you are looking to settle in long-term won't be seeing much demographic diversity change anytime soon. You mentioned that you would appreciate a MPH, which UVM does not have, but Tufts does happen to have a 4-year MD/MPH program. And Tufts-Maine seems specifically designed towards your desire for a rural medicine pathway.
If you were deciding based purely off of a good rural medicine program and future pathway, then it's Tufts-Maine or UVM, in that order.
I do respect your desire for a change of scenery, and if you think it would help you grow as a doctor and wouldn't affect your SO's circumstances too much, then by all means go to Tulane. It is only 4 years of your life and you can always move back to New England.
thanks so much for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts Maine seems to fit your goals, but the curriculum design seems to be hyper-focused on getting people into rural med / primary care specialties. I also personally don't know how enticing having to move around throughout medical school is with the several locations (Boston for a year, etc). If you calculated COL + Tuition over four years (already considering aid packages), which school is the cheapest? All three schools are great. You list the fact that you're far from home as a con for Tulane, but the fact that Tufts Maine and UVM are "more of the same" despite being 5.5 hours away also as a con, so it's a bit confusing as to which you value more. I'd go to the school that is the cheapest amongst the three, although I am fond of Vermont and have only heard good things. Consider how important it is for your school to have an MD/MPH available to incoming MD students -- you can always get the MPH at a top university after residency. I don't know if Tufts MD/MPH is offered to matriculants or if you had to apply to Tufts as an MD/MPH applicant in particular, though. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks so much for your thoughts!
Did a bit of digging into Tufts MD-MPH:
"Applications to the MPH portion of the MD/MPH program may be done via the Tufts MD secondary application at any time from when an applicant first fills out that application up until the middle of July, just before the MD program starts."
If you do decide on Tufts, you have some time but should still act quickly to apply and secure a spot in the program as it's space-limited.

Reactions: 1 users
Tufts Maine seems to fit your goals, but the curriculum design seems to be hyper-focused on getting people into rural med / primary care specialties. I also personally don't know how enticing having to move around throughout medical school is with the several locations (Boston for a year, etc). If you calculated COL + Tuition over four years (already considering aid packages), which school is the cheapest? All three schools are great. You list the fact that you're far from home as a con for Tulane, but the fact that Tufts Maine and UVM are "more of the same" despite being 5.5 hours away also as a con, so it's a bit confusing as to which you value more. I'd go to the school that is the cheapest amongst the three, although I am fond of Vermont and have only heard good things. Consider how important it is for your school to have an MD/MPH available to incoming MD students -- you can always get the MPH at a top university after residency. I don't know if Tufts MD/MPH is offered to matriculants or if you had to apply to Tufts as an MD/MPH applicant in particular, though. Good luck!
thanks for your input! i'm torn between moving somewhere new for a little while and being close to family/friends - still trying to figure out what i want!

Did a bit of digging into Tufts MD-MPH:
"Applications to the MPH portion of the MD/MPH program may be done via the Tufts MD secondary application at any time from when an applicant first fills out that application up until the middle of July, just before the MD program starts."
If you do decide on Tufts, you have some time but should still act quickly to apply and secure a spot in the program as it's space-limited.
thanks for doing that! i'll definitely look into the program