WAMC and should I consider DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white.coat.aspirer

Reaction score
Hi guys. This is my first time posting here, and I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place. My inspiration to become a physician came from my aunt who is the best psychiatrist in the world and introduced me to this passion when I was young.

I am an immigrant from Brazil, and completed both undergrad (UMBC, BA in Biological Sciences; GPA 3.47 with significant increase in grades in junior and senior year) and grad school (Columbia University, MS in Human Nutrition; GPA 3.9) in the US. I am currently a research coordinator in a clinical peds research lab, and am planning on applying this cycle.
My one issue and monster under my bed in the MCAT. I took it twice already (2022 and 2023) and got the same grade twice, a 499. I am retaking it this month and am much more confident in getting around a 510. I know that 3 MCATs are kind of a red flag and that adcoms normally average scores anyway (optimistically I would average a 501ish) so I am bit worried in general. Being an immigrant means I can only apply to a handful of MD schools and most of them are really competitive schools. I am contemplating maybe also applying to DO schools? Though MD is really my goal (personal reasons), I do think that I should also apply to DO schools given my stats.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user