WAMC c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mster19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
21F, recently graduated, applying to UGA only right now, interested in doing LA medicine but most likely will end up practicing mixed

Cumulative GPA: 3.76
science GPA: haven’t calculated but somewhere around 3.5-3.6 if I would guess
last 45: unsure but should be around a 3.75 or above

BSA in animal science may 2023

GRE results: not taking

Veterinary Experience:
-Student Assistant in small animal OR at university hospital- 20 hrs
-Shadowing at a mixed practice clinic that also saw wildlife- 100 hrs
-LA internship out of state- 330 hrs
-VA at small animal clinic- currently working here full time so will have about 700+ hrs once application is due

Animal Experience:
-15 yrs of horses riding/ caring/ training in various places/setting
-dog sitting(unpaid)- 100 hrs
-more mainly with livestock around 1000ish

Research Experience:
-100 hrs of swine nutrition research at UGA

Awards/scholarships:
-atleast 5 or 6 scholarships given by UGA CAES specifically
-2 given by UGA
-multiple from high school, would have to go back but at least a dozen scholarships and awards

Extracurriculars:
-prevet club-2.5 yrs
-block and bridle club-3 yrs with leadership position
-rodeo ticket chairman- 2 yrs
-book club with friends
-livestock judging in high school- 3 yrs
-floriculture team in high school-3 yrs
Plus more that I can’t think of rn

Employment:
-Waitress- 5000+ hrs

LORs
-LA vet that I interned with
-Professor who I TAed for

Summarize any concerns you have

I’m unsure who my third LOR is going to be. I currently work with a vet full time but have only just started. They seem very happy with me tho, even called me a blessing bc I helped fill a hole where a full time employee had just left. I am in a program thru the university where I have a mentor that is a prof and I did research with this prof who asked if I would be his grad student that is also an option. But I’m unsure if he can write me one bc the program is linked to the vet school and the application.

I’ve spoken with an advisor once before and she said the only weak spot in my application is my lack of hours but I wanted to see if there was anything else lacking.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not very familiar with UGA, so I sadly can't speak to your chances there specifically.

In terms of just general app strength, I think your vet experience is not bad. Total hours could definitely be higher, but you have a solid mix of SA/LA. Research could be more, but if it doesn't interest you, I wouldn't pursue. I'm guessing 5k hours as a waitress explains why you might have had less time to do unpaid volunteering, but I don't think helping out at a food bank or a shelter or elsewhere ever hurts an application.

Now, I don't know how relevant this actually is to getting accepted or not, but many of your activities feel very generic for vetmed, and not something that makes you stand out. I'd definitely think about if there is some hobby you do that you might make you stand out more, that you didn't initially think to put on an application. It's also possible you did something super interesting in one of your clubs, but didn't share it in the initial post.

LoRs: You can get more than 3! If you think both people would write you a solid one, I'd try to pursue both. Can also give you a backup if someone fails to submit one for whatever reason. From what you've said here, I don't think either option is bad.