WAMC | International Student 3.99/509

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charbelmar

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am an international student applying this cycle. My gpa has been great (3.99) but i just received my MCAT score of 509. While 509 is a good score, i don't feel confident with that score as an international student. Do you think med schools take into account that english is my second language ? I did great on the science sections (90+% percentile on both) but it is just CARS that brought my score down. Overall, i have clinical volunteering, shadowing, part time job, leadership, research, non-clinical. Do you think I have a chance (in both MD and DO)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What state are you a resident of? Or are you a Canadian student?

Also how are your ECs looking (in terms of hours and what you did)? Fill out the format over here at the bottom, and we would be able to assist you better and give a good school list: *~*~*~*IMPORTANT: How to Format Your WAMC Thread for Optimal Results and More!!*~*~*~*
Thanks for your reply! My apologies, I was not aware about the WAMC guideline for posting. I am a non-Canadian international student. My ECs are: 150 clinical hours, 100 non-clinical hours, 400 hours research, 250 hours part-time job, 200 hours helping family business back home, 70 shadowing hours, 50 hours leadership (president of a club). My MCAT score might seem bad but I actually had a 129 on C/P and 130 on B/B, CARS is the only reason for that score. My priority schools are TCU, Loma Linda, UCLA, Tulane, and Howard University. These are only my priority targets but the list is longer, in addition I have a list of 7 DO schools that accept internationals

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! My apologies, I was not aware about the WAMC guideline for posting. I am a non-Canadian international student. My ECs are: 150 clinical hours, 100 non-clinical hours, 400 hours research, 250 hours part-time job, 200 hours helping family business back home, 70 shadowing hours, 50 hours leadership (president of a club). My MCAT score might seem bad but I actually had a 129 on C/P and 130 on B/B, CARS is the only reason for that score. My priority schools are TCU, Loma Linda, UCLA, Tulane, and Howard University. These are only my priority targets but the list is longer, in addition I have a list of 7 DO schools that accept internationals
Please follow instructions and use the template format with details.

What state are you a resident of? Also are you URM (if so, what is your ethnicity)?

Also, what is your CARS score? You might be screened out if your CARS score is too low. I'm guessing your CARS score is 120-122 based on your overall scores and subsection scores, which might be too low.

Unless you are Black, I would remove Howard (since they are an HBCU). Also, UCLA is not feasible with your MCAT score.

Please fill out all of the following so we can understand you better, and it would be easier for us to generate a school list for you:
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts:
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US):
  4. Ethnicity and/or race:
  5. Undergraduate institution or category:
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  7. Research experience and productivity:
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
  11. Relevant honors or awards:
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:

Last edited:
Did you graduate from a university in the US?

What state are you a resident of? Also are you URM (if so, what is your ethnicity)?

Also, what is your CARS score? You might be screened out if your CARS score is too low. I'm guessing your CARS score is 120-122 based on your overall scores and subsection scores, which might be too low.

Unless you are Black, I would remove Howard (since they are an HBCU). Also, UCLA is not feasible with your MCAT score.

Please fill out all of the following so we can understand you better, and it would be easier for us to generate a school list for you:
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts:
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US):
  4. Ethnicity and/or race:
  5. Undergraduate institution or category:
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  7. Research experience and productivity:
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
  11. Relevant honors or awards:
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
I am studying in Texas and as i said am an international student so I am not considered an in-state resident. I'll give you as much info as I can:
1. cGPA 3.99 and sGPA 4.0
2. MCAT: 509 - 129/123/130/127 (CARS low - english is my second language)
3/4. Middle Eastern
5. Small private school
6. 150 hours - hospice care
7. 400 hours of undergraduate level research with one poster presentation
8. 70 hours shadowing: Nephrology and ob/gyn
9. 100 hours - Very diverse experiences not limited with a single organization
10. 250 hours tutoring part-time job | 200 hours helping family business home | 50 hours leadership - president of a medical club
11. Outstanding Freshman of the year award
12. I am first generation student, come from a low SES family and a medically underserved area

I think you should definitely apply to all Texas MD schools, since for admission purposes (not tuition unfortunately), you will be considered a Texas resident, as per option 1 on Residency

"This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the US and to international students (with certain eligible visa types)."

You might want to check if your visa is eligible for establishing Texas residency.

Reactions: 1 user